Ladder extension

DKR

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 with the curved ladder. We need another step. I see some old treads about adding an extension. Not sure whether to weld another step straight down from existing last step so when folded will not extend more onto back deck, or continue curve. If I do the latter seems I will need to add a shim or set off to keep new longer ladder from folding down onto exist8ng ladder if I want to keep it from extending over back deck. Anyone have any experience with this, or opinions, or pictures?

You sound like a candidate for the new Lily Pad ladder. Use the search function at the top to find several posts.

Be sure and keep us posted on your project.

I bought the metal and parts from Bearcat corp. They told me they used to make Bennington ladders, but don’t anymore, and did not make my 2020. So I bought the metal for the sides and step and hinges, and the plastic covers from them ($175). Then I took those parts to my local welder to fabricate the rung and then he welded the hinge onto the bottom of the existing ladder. Key is to find a good welder who will do small jobs.

DKR this is my off season project. I've already met a welder at my marina that was doing work on another boat. He has added steps to existing ladders and told me it's a rather simple straightforward project! We didn't discuss price but if I get another step I don't care how much it costs! Ha!

Back