Lake Horseower Limits Question

Bill N

Reaction score
I know some of you are on lakes with horsepower limits.

Just what is the intent of such rules?

Are they trying to discourage.......

attaining a certain speed?

tow sports?

non-resident users?

wake?

I cannot envision the purpose of such a discriminating rule?

We are on an unlimited HP lake that is also considered an all-sport lake (tubing and skiing are the norm).  I can tell you that on some weekends it's better to just stay at the dock or just channel cruise than try to navigate the boneheads that have no clue about boating etiquette.  Our lake is only 5800 acres with loads of channels to cruise but it does get pretty rough out in open water with a bunch of boat traffic and watersports.  I prefer early in the mornings or later in the afternoon (early evening) as the best time to go out on weekends......holiday weekends are the worst.  Taking a few vacation days so we can be at the lake during the week is the best as the lake is smooth as glass and what we like to call  "the weekend warriors" aren't there yet.

So you're saying this rule is to make the lake an un-attractive destination for recreationalists?

I understand that mentality up until the point where it is also un-attractive for the residents. 

I can see if a lake is a small lake, it definitely can be a safety issue. 

I live in a canal that accesses 5 lakes and wish my canal was a minimum or no wake zone.  We have a number of idiot boaters that will go by my dock, with my boat tied up at WOT.  They come within 10 to 15 feet of my boat.

Our lake is 20hp restriction. Today would have been a prime day for understanding why. Pontoons, v-hulls, kayaks, paddle boards, wind boards, sailboats. Oh yeah, throw in the rental boats with newbies at the helm.  They don't know jack about boating rules. All of these going every which way possible. You'd understand why there's a restriction. You can't have boats screaming 40mph every which way. 10-15 is bad enough. Lakes pretty big, but not big enough. I use to boat on the river which was much larger. Still had a**holes buzzing by us at 50 mph while we were anchored. Don't miss it at all. Even the small v's with 20hp can probably reach 25 mph which is plenty fast on our lake and put out a pretty good wake. Must be ok though, as we have 350+ docks filled and a waiting list to boot. 

We have probably one of the weirdest situations.

I live on a neighborhood lake with a 10hp limit but by a quirk in the bylaws, PWC are exempt so we have 9.9 party and fishing boats alongside 200hp 60 MPH Jet Skis.

It actually went to local court when one neighbor, a lawyer (aka sharks)....sued another neighbor with a PWC (aka jets)

It pitted the whole community against one another as about 2 dozen or more+  PWC owners (including me) whom already owned them didn't want to give them up. Amazingly, the judge sided with the jets

So far so good and that was 20 years ago..

This is only about a hundred acre lake:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be the first to admit that 80+% of my time on a pontoon is spent around 6 mph (most of the time enjoying a cold beer)!

But there is something liberating about a pontoon ride north of 40 MPH!

Also, I would think that little pee shooter on the transom of a nice used Benny plays hell with the resale value.

Nope. Our dealer turns used all the time. Motor can always be swapped out. Boat value is boat value. Motor value is separate. At least it doesn't seem to affect us here in pricing. 

Here is what the Park Manager wrote when a request was made by a local anglers club to see if a 10HP restriction could be lifted from a local lake. If you read the fine print of the lake rules... you can't even swim in it... only at the baech. Luckily there is a mud hole (This protected lake feeds into the mud hole for those that have a 10HP or more)

Thank you for your note, and your support of Lake Macbride. Your concern about the motor restriction is not a new one, but it is also one that is out of the Department's hands. The only way for this restriction to be lifted is through a grass-roots effort by anglers and boaters who want it changed. They must organize, unite and contact their legislators to let their voices be heard.
A bill comes up every year in legislature (and has for at least the past 15 years) removing the restriction, but it always dies before getting a chance at a vote. This must be because their is not enough organized, vocal support from the people to change it. We have held a public meeting here at Lake Macbride in the past on this issue, and that year the Department of Natural Resources recommended to our Natural Resources Commission that the restriction be lifted, even for a trial year. The NR Commission and DNR fully supported a bill in legislature to have the restriction removed, but once again, it died in legislative committee.
So I apologize that this is out of our hands, but hopefully anglers and boaters interested in seeing a change can effect change through their legislators.
Feel free to contact us anytime with your questions or concerns.
Blessings,
Ron

Back