Lake is “Bearly” beginning to freeze

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Not boat related, but lake related.

About 2 miles north of our cottage a bear decided to test out the newly freezing lake water. Lets just say it’s not yet ready for humans or pets, let alone Yogi or his relatives.

39117105-4F25-4C37-A411-737620DDAA0D.jpeg

79F5DB0E-BFD4-4F48-A3E0-856D667D0B3C.jpeg

14463B50-2AC5-4D98-A0D8-64745F08DF06.jpeg

P.S. The bear did make it safely ashore. A video of the bear walking on the ice shows it falling through, and eventually getting out and back on the ice multiple times. Silly bear….

Last edited:
Everything is still open up here

I believe most of our lake is too. The entire main stretch in front of our place is liquid. The area with the bear was along the west shore line of north bay. Maybe more stagnant and forming a little ice…?

Still open here too. Glad the bear made it out!

Very cool picture of the bear in the water. Would frame it and put in our lake house in the Adirondacks

Damn it was 78 degrees at Lake Norman today! Drove around the yard mulching up the leaves on the tractor. The bear would have been sweating!

Yup, same in SC. Super sunny day, we spent a couple hours on the lake yesterday. Managed to enjoy what is likely to be the last day like that until next spring. Oh, and the water temp in now 60F, with the 50's only a few days away. Brrrrr....

Mowed the yard today and I’m in Pa. 20 degrees a week or two ago. High 50’s today … Heat on in am, a/c in pm

In Maine we had some skim ice around the edges today. Best thing about ice forming, we are now closer to "ice out" and after that it is time to put the boat in the water!

Attachments

• 20211204_090733.jpg
    20211204_090733.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 10
Whoa Jeff, not too far from our cottage. As you probably know, a good portion of north bay is frozen over. Thanks for sharing! I’ll have to show it to the family!!

Whoa Jeff, not too far from our cottage. As you probably know, a good portion of north bay is frozen over. Thanks for sharing! I’ll have to show it to the family!!
With it being pretty much directly west across the bay from your place, I was totally thinking of you wen I posted it. I can send you the pictures if you want your own copies? Someone posted a video of the bear walking on the ice, but I can only share their FB video. I will try to get that your way too maybe via messenger or something...

P.S. I got some snowmobiling in the last two days. Fun! Seriously going to have snag you sometime this winter for a day and hit the trails if you’re interested and available. I got an extra sled with your name on it for a ride. :cool:

Back