Lake Norman snowfall.....

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Got about 3 1/2 - 4 inches at the lake yesterday. Not really a big deal but in an area that doesn't have many pieces of snow removal equipment......it kind of is! (Have never seen a plow on our street in the 7 yrs. we've lived here) Got to use my snowblower for the first time in a couple yrs! The bad thing is we had freezing rain before and after the snow so it was pretty crusty to remove! My boat is at the dealership for warranty work so I'll have to go down to check to make sure the cover hasn't caved in. Doesn't really snow much here so no longer get it shrink-wrapped like we did in Virginia. IMG_20220116_164754772.jpgIMG_20220116_164438340.jpgIMG_20220116_175246628.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220116_164313681.jpg
    IMG_20220116_164313681.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220116_164720113.jpg
    IMG_20220116_164720113.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 17
We got really lucky here a couple hours NNE of you, BigKahuna. Maybe an inch or two of snow, a lot of sleet, but not the big freezing rain event they were predicting. So the trees never took on any weight and the power is still on. That's a really good thing !! They got 8-12 inches at SML. We're waiting on a 1600 square foot concrete pad to be poured for a 40 x 40 steel shelter to house a new tritoon and trailer (among other things), and this didn't help that cause. I don't know when they can get it done now. Been waiting since Christmas, and we knew the weather would turn sour once we signed that contract. Lol

Last edited:
We got really lucky here a couple hours NNE of you, BigKahuna. Maybe an inch or two of snow, a lot of sleet, but not the big freezing rain event they were predicting. So the trees never took on any weight and the power is still on. That's a really good thing !! They got 8-12 inches at SML. We're waiting on a 1600 square foot concrete pad to be poured for a 40 x 40 steel shelter to house a new tritoon and trailer (among other things), and this didn't help that cause. I don't know when they can get it done now. Been waiting since Christmas, and we knew the weather would turn sour once we signed that contract. Lol
We were smack on the snow/ wintry mix/ice line and we got a little bit of everything! Didn't know SML got that much! Good luck on the construction of your steel building! Once they pour the concrete how long does it take to complete?!?

BK you probably don't miss dealing with stuck cars on 395 or Lee Hwy. The number of incompetent drivers has only increased here since you've left!

We were smack on the snow/ wintry mix/ice line and we got a little bit of everything! Didn't know SML got that much! Good luck on the construction of your steel building! Once they pour the concrete how long does it take to complete?!?
2-4 weeks supposedly. They order the materials when the pad is poured and put it up as soon as the material is ready, which is the 2-4 weeks. Ideally the pad will cure about 4 weeks. Erecting the building is 2 or 3 days.

G
It’s the first real significant snow fall of the year. Good thing it didn’t happen Saturday night during the Bills football game. Here in WNY we just crack open a beer and start over tomorrow.
Go Bills! I'm rooting for them on the AFC side!!!

I am on the upper end of Lake Wylie and we got a couple of inches of ice and snow. I was out on Friday in shorts and a hoodie burning hours of my break-in period. Three more hours to go!

Attachments

• C8FB83F5-0D6E-4C3C-A7FC-476530FF24BC.jpeg
    C8FB83F5-0D6E-4C3C-A7FC-476530FF24BC.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 19
BK you probably don't miss dealing with stuck cars on 395 or Lee Hwy. The number of incompetent drivers has only increased here since you've left!
We still come up there to visit my Mom in Maryland. It's gotten to the point where we'll turn off at exit 104 in Caroline county and take 301 over the Nice bridge to Maryland and avoid the 95 corridor depending on the time of day. Remember that 120+ car pile up during that snowstorm on southbound 95 in Quantico back in 2001?!? People were stuck on 95 all the way back to Springfield. I got off work at the subway in Alexandria went over WW bridge, took Indian Head hwy towards Waldorf and took 301 over the Nice bridge to Rt. 3 to get home to Fredericksburg. No way I was going to get stuck on 95. When I saw what happened recently on 95 north during that snowstorm where people got stuck for 24 hrs. or so.......that's what it reminded me of.....

I am on the upper end of Lake Wylie and we got a couple of inches of ice and snow. I was out on Friday in shorts and a hoodie burning hours of my break-in period. Three more hours to go!
We were just down there last week. My sister and nephew were down visiting and staying in the Steele Creek area with her other son. Took my young nephew bowling at Bowl and Bounce and had lunch at Papa Docks!

We still come up there to visit my Mom in Maryland. It's gotten to the point where we'll turn off at exit 104 in Caroline county and take 301 over the Nice bridge to Maryland and avoid the 95 corridor depending on the time of day. Remember that 120+ car pile up during that snowstorm on southbound 95 in Quantico back in 2001?!? People were stuck on 95 all the way back to Springfield. I got off work at the subway in Alexandria went over WW bridge, took Indian Head hwy towards Waldorf and took 301 over the Nice bridge to Rt. 3 to get home to Fredericksburg. No way I was going to get stuck on 95. When I saw what happened recently on 95 north during that snowstorm where people got stuck for 24 hrs. or so.......that's what it reminded me of.....
I was working in Arlington at the time, 1300 Wilson Blvd at the American Chemistry Council building in Rosslyn. While I vaguely remember the snow pileup that year, I distinctly remember being stuck in traffic in the 395 HOV lanes when Flight 77 went over my head and struck the Pentagon. I eventually made it to Rosslyn later that day and went to the roof of the building (we were the owners rep) to take in the chaos and exodus from the DC. Sat there and watched smoke pour out of the Pentagon thinking how surreal it all was.

I'm sure it was an exhausting time for you and your comrades.

I was working in Arlington at the time, 1300 Wilson Blvd at the American Chemistry Council building in Rosslyn. While I vaguely remember the snow pileup that year, I distinctly remember being stuck in traffic in the 395 HOV lanes when Flight 77 went over my head and struck the Pentagon. I eventually made it to Rosslyn later that day and went to the roof of the building (we were the owners rep) to take in the chaos and exodus from the DC. Sat there and watched smoke pour out of the Pentagon thinking how surreal it all was.

I'm sure it was an exhausting time for you and your comrades.
I was working at the National Airport station on 9/11. When the plane hit the Pentagon 2 stations away we all went down there to help. As soon as we got to the top of the escalator you could smell the jet fuel. It was chaos!

Lake Norman, 1/17/22, in the snow, Bennington Eskimo.
Hey Blake you guys are crazy! I see the power plant in the background. Where do you guys live? We live in between MM11 and 12 main channel.

Quick update......Made it down to the boat to check on the cover after getting that heavy snow/ice on Sunday. It was pretty much caved in. I had to get under the cover and push from underneath to get it all off. Didn't want to use the broom or long handled brush I brought because I didn't want to rip or poke through the cover. That Tumac Surlast material is ALOT tougher than I thought. After getting the snow/ice off I reset and tightened the support poles and the cover bounced back after being stretched under that weight. It's amazing that it didn't rip or tear! First time we had that heavy snow/ice since moving here 7 yrs ago ....

Back