Lift Power Questions

Glava2876

Reaction score
I should have gone through this sooner, but we bought our place last October and were focused on the indoor projects.
Now I can zoom in on the outdoors!

First priority -my lift is installed and I am at this point now:

1) There is a GFI outlet on the post on the dock, it is a dedicated line from the electrical panel.
2) Along the plastic conduit under my outdoor deck is a weatherproof on/ off switch.
3) The 110V Lift cord is near the end of the dock, about a 40' run.

What I am thinking of doing is as follows:
  • Run PVC pipe on the edge of the dock, from the outlet, to the end near the lift.
  • The lift end will be left open.
  • The outlet end to come up the pole, and turn back down towards the dock .
  • Then I want to slide an HD 12 gauge weather proof cord inside the PVC.
I can turn the line off when I'm not going to use the lift.
When I pull the lift for the winter, I'll leave it off and pull the extension cord.

See the pictures -does this sound like a good way to do this, and /or, please give me comments on what I may want to do differently.
Thanks!
CCSW Lift1.jpg
The lift has a remote and bluetooth capable
CCSW Lift5.jpg
Looking back, the outlet is on the post at the top of the picture

CCSW Lift4.jpg
Figured to run the PVC on the top edge of the dock?

ccsw deckview.jpg
The on/ of switch for the outlet is under the left side of the deck.

ccsw Docksideview.jpg

This is before the lift was installed, when the water was lower than the norm, but you can see the conduit along the side of the dock, running to the post on this side.

Last edited:
Looking like such a GREAT set up with your home an dock.

IMHO:

Spend $300-500 and just do a solar panel, cord and heavy duty battery to power the lift. That is how our set up was, and it was very nice way to go.

Personally, I am not a fan with running any electrical wires out to a dock or near the water. Far too many mishaps from something unexpected getting compromised.

In my mind for your particular goal, it seems easier, safer, and not too much more expensive overall to just go the normal solar panel/cord/battery route. But...just my two cents.

Looking like such a GREAT set up with your home an dock.

IMHO:

Spend $300-500 and just do a solar panel, cord and heavy duty battery to power the lift. That is how our set up was, and it was very nice way to go.

Personally, I am not a fan with running any electrical wires out to a dock or near the water. Far too many mishaps from something unexpected getting compromised.

In my mind for your particular goal, it seems easier, safer, and not too much more expensive overall to just go the normal solar panel/cord/battery route. But...just my two cents.
Thanks, I will look at that option -is there a recommended brand that I should look at?

Thanks, I will look at that option -is there a recommended brand that I should look at?
Not sure if brand will matter too much. I had whatever brand came with my lift when we bought it in 2017. I have since sold our lift set up in 2019 and switched to Sea Legs (otherwise I would check what brand I had).

I know this, when I had the lift, I really liked that power set up. Very easy and convenient! You wont have to worry about rigging up all that electrical you were talking about above. It’s pretty much plug and play aside from screwing and securing brackets onto the lift the first time it’s put on.

I’d think ANYONE near you that sells lifts/hoists is going to have options for you. I’d just buy whatever is nearest for convenience.

I don’t have any good pictures that show the solar panel and battery hook up. Below is the best I have:
DAB6ED4E-3882-41BC-84B9-60E4B8224485.jpegBA24582C-A2C2-4C00-A2D0-A0901793328B.jpeg1477D3A8-0DB8-41BD-BC1D-01067CE9A22B.jpeg

On my dock, I have a gfci outlet close to land, but on the dock, similar to yours. I just run a cord from there to the lift, secured in place with cable staples. My lift location can vary year to year based on the water level, so doing it this way gives me the ability to adjust where the lift is set.

Back