LIfting Strakes

Scooba

Reaction score
Hello all!!. I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Bennington 22 SL with a Yamaha 115 HP 4 stroke on it. It does not have lifting strakes on it though. I was wondering how much would the boat be affected on its performance and getting it on top the water without them on this size boat? Thanks in advance!!

Don't even double think it just get the strakes, it will be a much better boat having only a 115 on it. It will improve speed and fuel economy while cruising and will give a much dryer ride. If given the chance take a test drive on one with and without strakes and you wouldn't even think of considering one without them.

In my area its hard to even find a new toon of any brand on the dealer lots without strakes anymore.

Don't even double think it just get the strakes, it will be a much better boat having only a 115 on it. It will improve speed and fuel economy while cruising and will give a much dryer ride. If given the chance take a test drive on one with and without strakes and you wouldn't even think of considering one without them.

In my area its hard to even find a new toon of any brand on the dealer lots without strakes anymore.
Do you know if the dealer can add lifting strakes or does that have come from the manufacturer?

Scooba,

We have a 2275gcw with plain old 25" tubes and a Yamaha 115. Our top speed with clean tubes is just over 27mph (around 23 with dirty tubes). Most of our use is at around 12mph, just cruising, watching the crazies, and catching a few rays. We are on an inland lake that on really rough days can reach 3+ foot swells, but many evenings we go out during the week our lake looks mill pond smooth. I would not change a thing with our logs or engine *for our use*, I will be adding the underskin over the winter. We now have 30 hours on our new Bennie and in our conditions the boat rides very dry, one time we did get some spray over one side (the windward side) heading home in 30mph gust, rare condition for our lake.

*You* need to decide on your boating habits, what you need in a boat and then go for it. The best advice would be to ride in each setup you're considering, that may not be possible.

Steve

Thanks Steve. We are in Louisiana and on an old oxbow of the mighty Mississippi. It doesn't get too rough out there but I was wondering if the strakes would help get on top of the water quicker while pulling kids on tubes

Will be much cheaper in the long run to have Bennington put the lifting strakes on for you rather than have them put on after-market. Really nice in rough water. With my 32" ellipticals and lifting strakes, I have nearly 36" of surface contact on each pontoon. In the Gulf of Mexico, it makes all the difference in the world.

....I was wondering if the strakes would help get on top of the water quicker while pulling kids on tubes
I will have to defer on that.... our kids are much older, they now want to have a cocktail with us :)

Steve

We have the 24 SSL with a 115 4-stroke, and we have 6 strakes (on the express package). We get 35 MPH with 3-4 on board. I was thrilled with that result.

Guys here said that many strakes would make the boat not handle as well, and I believe that to be true, but the motor isn't that big (so difference in handling is likely to be small) and since we boat on a ~30 mile river where we pretty much go straight with gentle course corrections, handling wasn't at the top of the list. I wanted the max speed I could, so I could see the big smiles from the tube. I'm not going to be zig zagging all around (somewhat narrow river), so full strakes was the choice we made.

When I was a teenager, and skied almost every night, I remember hating when my parents turned the boat. I wanted them to go straight as much as possible. I know zig-zagging is more fun for a tube, but I figure my kids will graduate from the tube, and want skis or a wake board. Just another reason for the decision we made on strakes. I wanted all the speed I could get out of the 115.

Each decision is different, and each has it's reasons. That's the big benefit of this forum. The different angles people post here helps you figure out what you REALLY want.

Good luck.

Back