Louder horn

RiverTooner

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade my factory horn , are there any more powerful horns that fit existing cutouts. 2020 Benny SLV

Bennington horns are not loud enough. Someone on here wrote his experience with replacing, try the search engine to find

I am planning to install these after the snow and ice recede from around my toon to replace the dissapointing original horn. Will need a new hole above Port Toon for second horn. I am planning on drilling a couple 1.5" diameter holes and they have the same 4" screw pattern as original.

Stainless Steel Mini Drop-In Dual w/SS Grills - 12 Volt, High & Low Pitch

mini-drop-in-dual-horn-wss-grills.jpg

Attachments

• mini-drop-in-dual-horn-wss-grills.jpg
    mini-drop-in-dual-horn-wss-grills.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 13
I am planning to install these after the snow and ice recede from around my toon to replace the dissapointing original horn. Will need a new hole above Port Toon for second horn. I am planning on drilling a couple 1.5" diameter holes and they have the same 4" screw pattern as original.

Stainless Steel Mini Drop-In Dual w/SS Grills - 12 Volt, High & Low Pitch

View attachment 29021
Did you get them installed? Wish the website had an audio file to hear what it sounds like....

Here is a good comparison. I'm partial to the electric black one, 4th from right.

IIRC my horn is located under the deck so will take some digging around the underskinning to get to it. I assume it'll be plug and play assuming the circuit can handle the 5amps the new horn is spec'd at.

Here is a good comparison. I'm partial to the electric black one, 4th from right.

IIRC my horn is located under the deck so will take some digging around the underskinning to get to it. I assume it'll be plug and play assuming the circuit can handle the 5amps the new horn is spec'd at.

This brings back memories from when I needed to change the horn on my Sprinter van. It was so embarrassing when I first hit it, I thought it was coming from another vehicle, I couldn't even believe that sound came from this van. It sounded weaker than the horn on my little CRF 250 dual sport motorcycle. The second video is the replacement, the Cadillac 4-note horns. They are also 12v, so they wired right into the DC battery for the Sprinter. Of course, the bracket would have to be fabricated differently for the boat, but could still be a cool horn since these went on the big boat vehicles back in the day. Just not sure how these would like the water they may get on a boat.

You can see the stock horn in the upper left of the first photo.

Before and after videos.

1638303425190.png

1638303362032.png

This brings back memories from when I needed to change the horn on my Sprinter van. It was so embarrassing when I first hit it, I thought it was coming from another vehicle, I couldn't even believe that sound came from this van. It sounded weaker than the horn on my little CRF 250 dual sport motorcycle. The second video is the replacement, the Cadillac 4-note horns. They are also 12v, so they wired right into the DC battery for the Sprinter. Of course, the bracket would have to be fabricated differently for the boat, but could still be a cool horn since these went on the big boat vehicles back in the day. Just not sure how these would like the water they may get on a boat.

You can see the stock horn in the upper left of the first photo.

Before and after videos.

View attachment 31542

View attachment 31541
That's fantastic!

I think as long as the housing is stainless or plastic and the horn is facing downward it'll last many years. Marine grade horns would probably be the safest bet which is why I'm looking into that Sea Dog brand.

Did you get them installed? Wish the website had an audio file to hear what it sounds like....
I did install the Schmitt-Ongaro Horns. They were quite loud! Unfortunately one horn failed internally prior to launching for the season so I reverted back to factory horn supplemented with an air horn. Schmitt-Ongaro did (eventually) stand behind their warranty and replaced the pair of horns which I reinstalled at the end of the season vs. trying to install at the beach. I upgraded the wiring from the switch to the horns up to 14AWG and inserted a power relay under the helm. I think they will work well now. The pair of horns draws 6A @12Vdc. The Failed horn drew over 11A and started to get hot and quit making sound.

Back