Lower Unit - Freezing Weather

jayd

Reaction score
Does water remain that could freeze in a Yamaha F150 lower unit when fully tilted up all the way? We're on an inland lake and our Bennington pontoon is left in the water most of the season, moored to a dock and the motor tilted up fully. I do not have a lift (but am dreaming of one :)).

I'd prefer to leave the boat in the water as long as possible into the Fall season, to enjoy color cruises and a longer boating season. However, there is freezing weather periodically on cold nights and I'm concerned for freeze damage to the lower unit if any water remains, especially behind the prop.

I'm wondering if it may be best to leave the motor slightly tilted down into the water to just submerge the prop slightly. The lake will not freeze until December and I will definitely have the boat on a trailer by then.

Leave the lower unit fully down. It is designed to drain in that position. If it's up, you run the risk of trapped water freezing.

For more than 15 years, I have left my boats and motors (Mercury and now Yamaha) in the water year-round, lower ends fully submerged, without any freeze problems. During those years, the lake surface has frozen over at the marina several times with no harm to the outboards. All my lake neighbors do the same thing without a problem. But I'm told if you tilt the hub out of the water, moisture will collect in there and freeze.

If your propshaft seal is leaking, you could have water in your lower end that could potentially freeze and ruin the case. Unlikely, but possible.

Back