Maiden Voyage Today

skeptic

Reaction score
Took it out for the first time today and, of course, it was windy as hell. The winds were steady at 25 mph. Launching was fairly easy except for that huge log that was floating right where the boat floated off the trailer. Fortunately, when the boat got close the log moved out of the way (first nervous moment came and went). The gas station on the way to the marina was closed so once the boat was in the water I decided to get gas at the marina (boat was on “E”). I’ve been at the wheel on pontoons before but never at a steady crosswind at 25 mph. With the help of the gas attendant and my crew I let the wind push us to the pump (second nervous moment now over). After the gas, we were off and boating. It was kind of agonizing to go so slow the first hour but I wanted to break the Yamaha in as directed even though the crew wasn’t too impressed. Later in the day, I did get it upon plane and away we went. The boat did a great job and we were having a lot of fun.

The only thing that did concern me a little was the steering. It just didn’t seem to steer as easy as I thought it would or as easy as the boat I’m usually on. I do have the hydraulic sea-star steering but it still was a little tough to turn the boat. The speed or trim really didn’t make much difference either. It could be just me or the wind, I’m not sure. I’ll pay more attention to this when we take it out again.

When it was time to load the boat luckily the wind died down a good bit but there was still a cross wind. I got it up on the trailer but it was a little crooked so we backed the truck a little deeper and the boat floated and straightened up perfectly (no inside guide on installed on trailer yet). I’d say the maiden voyage was a major success. I’m ready to go again next weekend.

Sounds like you have a very similar boat as Mine except I have esp. My last Benny had tight steering also. I got used to it but to manuver it in tight spaces like docks and marinas was a pain in the rear as it took too many turns of the wheel to go from lock to lock. Open cruising wasn't bad. I am hoping this boat turns better at slow speeds than the last one.

Have the same hydraulic sea star on the new boat also but didn't opt for the electric steering due to only having a 150. They reccomend electric assist on any engine over 150.

Pics of maiden voyage??? :)

Back loungers were fantastic, Sony stereo w/six kicker speakers sounds great. The Yamaha was very quiet. Turning at idle speed was not too bad, I'm sure the wind played a major part.

Congrats on the voyage - know you can't wait to get out again - hopefully the wind will cooperate. I have already given up on going out if the wind is over about 20 mph and even at 15 mph it is usually a struggle to reload. Hope you have some pics to post.

Where are all 6 speakers mounted? Mine only came with 2, Don't think there was a 6 speaker option. Have 2 in front and 2 in back on mine.

Where are all 6 speakers mounted? Mine only came with 2, Don't think there was a 6 speaker option. Have 2 in front and 2 in back on mine.
See pics:

Two in front (each side of front gate), one on bottom of console and one on side of rear facing lounger, and two at the feet of the rear facing lounger.

Don't really have any pics of the maiden voyage, wind was so bad everybody stayed on the boat.

inside front12.jpg

inside back11.jpg

Mine does not have the ones in the rear corners of the chase lounges.

Back