Making the trade

Just For Fun

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Ed and I'm new to this forum but not new to boating. My mantra over last few years has been 60 is the new 40 and have purchased a few water toys. I'm currently in the process of trading my 2008 Crownline 220LS for a Bennington 2275RLCP. This has been a major change in course for me over the pleasure of speed boating, tubing, skiing and wakboarding. But with my family and grand kids I thought it was time to make a change for more room and role of senior citizen and Grandpa.

My selection is for 2275RCLP with Eliptical Tri-toon and 200HP Yamaha vs. 2275GL with Express Tri-toon and 150 HP Yamaha. My wife prefered the 2275RCLP for the layout and I liked it as well with the 200HP which allows for what we did with our boat. Just wondering if I'm overdoing what I need to still do the fun things on the water and could I get by with 2275GL vs a 2275RCLP. Also wondering if the Yamaha engine is better than a Mercury or any other engine. I have a 2007 High Output Yamaha jetski and it definately is a nice toy with no problems.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Hey Ed, welcome aboard! As for your question, you can never really overdo it! If the power is there, it's your choice to use it or not! I ordered a 2275RCW ESP with a 200hp SHO, and I am expecting a great time! For towing kids and grandkids, the 150hp is enough, but the 200hp should be better. And the ESP will allow you up to 14 people on board. Both are great boats, obviously the R series has a few more bells and whistles. As for motors, everyone has their favorite, what it really comes down to is serviceability, what is more convenient for you where dealer is concerned, they all seem to make a pretty good motor these days. I look at it this way, your probably not going to buy another one for a few years, so buy the most you can, nobody ever complains about having too many nice amenities or too much power.

Derrick

Hey Ed, welcome aboard! As for your question, you can never really overdo it! If the power is there, it's your choice to use it or not! I ordered a 2275RCW ESP with a 200hp SHO, and I am expecting a great time! For towing kids and grandkids, the 150hp is enough, but the 200hp should be better. And the ESP will allow you up to 14 people on board. Both are great boats, obviously the R series has a few more bells and whistles. As for motors, everyone has their favorite, what it really comes down to is serviceability, what is more convenient for you where dealer is concerned, they all seem to make a pretty good motor these days. I look at it this way, your probably not going to buy another one for a few years, so buy the most you can, nobody ever complains about having too many nice amenities or too much power.

Derrick
Derrick,

Thanks for the insight and I'm looking forward to making the trade this week. Dealer only outfits with Yamaha and working to lower the height of boat and trailer to make it fit in carport designed for lower profile boat. Should be interesting to see how they accomplish the height issue as it would be a deal breaker.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I find going to a pontoon is just a natural progression in a boaters life. We had 3 other tow boats prior to our new Bennington RCW in 2011. The RCLP is the first Bennington I had ever been on and that is when I made my decision to go with Bennington. We went RCW for the rear loungers but I also really liked the portside bow recliners so it was a difficult decision. The R series is luxurious and the larger engine would be a bonus for when you are doing the water sports or have a large crowd on board. The last 3 weekends we have had passenger counts of 11, 13, and 12 and the extra power is helpful. For "normal" cruising around with a light crew, either hp engine should be fine. I won't jump too deep into the Yamaha vs Mercury, Suzuki etc debate because I think they are all pretty good these days I would go with the one that you can get serviced easily. We also own two of the High Output Yamaha ski and they have performed flawlessly. Good luck in your decision.

Back