Master Power Switch

Greg23LSB

Reaction score
I opted to skip the master power switch on my build. Is it of any value if you are religious about the battery switch? Having been a boater for so many years, turning off the power at the batteries is engrained in my soul, so I didn't see the need to add the switch at the helm. However being new to the pontoon scene I wanted to ask the question to be sure I am not missing anything...while I still have the opportunity to add it. Thanks!!!

I opted to skip the master power switch on my build. Is it of any value if you are religious about the battery switch? Having been a boater for so many years, turning off the power at the batteries is engrained in my soul, so I didn't see the need to add the switch at the helm. However being new to the pontoon scene I wanted to ask the question to be sure I am not missing anything...while I still have the opportunity to add it. Thanks!!!
With you being 100% on top of turning off power at the batteries, I think you‘ll be fine. I have it. But I also am 100% on top of turning off batteries at the end of boating. I think there’s maybe been a few times when I know we are just swinging into the cottage for a quick lunch or something where I’ve simply used the master switch…probably. That’s about it.

I wouldn’t have missed it if I didn’t have it. Batteries are dockside accessible on our swimgback, so using the battery switch is nearly as easy as the master switch anyway on our setup.

Maybe the master power switches utility depends on the boats layout and battery placement + boat usage style?

I have the option and it's a waste of money in my opinion. The ONLY way I can see it providing some semblance of value is if the bilge pump or other accessories bypass the main battery switch and the master switch then gives you the quick ability to kill power (if you are too lazy to reach 12 inches and flip the bilge switch).

To your point for those 100% battery switch folks, myself included, I struggle to see a point to it.

My previous boats didn't have a switch at the batteries or a Master switch at the helm. So having both on our current boat is good to have even though they perform the same function.

I have the battery switch located on the battery cover itself, not a helm button. While there is virtually no chance of me leaving any helm switches on (unless the red switch light burns out), I do turn the battery switch off after every trip. Probably overkill on my part, but it kind of completes my EOD routine. Here’s a shot of it before the battery was installed.
8FE4BC2D-86C0-4250-89F2-10A6BCF457BD.jpeg

Thanks...is that the standard battery on-off switch on the Bennington's?

Thanks...is that the standard battery on-off switch on the Bennington's?
Yes, added the option on the boat order form for like 20 bucks or something.

Back