Mercury 150 noise

myv10

Reaction score
My 2017 sfx is making a high pitched howl at 3200 rpm. It does it thru out the rpm range but it can be heard best at 3200. I have asked the dealer to drop the motor down 1 hole. { that is all that is left } The motor has a stainless prop, and other than the noise runs fine. Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?

I have the same motor and mine makes that same sound.  It starts around 2400 rpm "howls" up until roughly 3400.  I had my dealer come out on the boat with me to listen and they verified that is normal.

I have the same motor and mine makes that same sound.  It starts around 2400 rpm "howls" up until roughly 3400.  I had my dealer come out on the boat with me to listen and they verified that is normal.

I called Mercury and they said it is not normal, I had the mechanic ride it and he confirmed something was wrong, He felt that by dropping the motor down, it may correct the problem.

My old 115 did a little of that. I was told it's normal.  Harmonics was what they told me.  A resonance is hard for me to believe that unless they all did that, but I needed a bigger motor and I traded it in anyway. I have video of it somewhere. When I traded it in, they took it for a test drive and said nothing about it. Anyway, my 150 does not do that.  This is first I've heard of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No such howl on a 2016 Verado 250 pro and I honestly can't imagine that it is normal in this day and age. 

I have a 175 optimax on my bassboat that screams like a banchee between 3500-4000 and a 150 mercury four stroke on the pontoon that is quiet as a mouse.

Back