Mercury 400R

Okie Dave

Reaction score
Looks like Bennington is offering the Mercury 400R racing engine on there boats now. 6 to 8 week lead time. I quess I should have waited.Should be a great engine although a little pricey compared to the 350.

It was only a matter of time. The power wars between pontoon manufacturers have begun. It's like the late 60's in Detroit.

Looks like Bennington is offering the Mercury 400R racing engine on there boats now. 6 to 8 week lead time. I quess I should have waited.Should be a great engine although a little pricey compared to the 350.

Which ones?

Not sure on all the boats, but it is available on R2550 RSBA fastback with arch which is the boat I have.

Hoooo buddy... I want one soooooo bad! I'm still holding out for triple or maybe quadruple 557's... I think it'll fit. And if I can afford that... I'll make it fit!

Noticed a 400 on the back of a JC a couple weeks ago here at the lake....snapped a pic yesterday.  The same guy also had a pontoon with the 300 on it last year.....must have been time for an upgrade.

DSCN7886_zpsdfsmzfjj.jpg
DSCN7887_zpscoucvjxl.jpg

The bennington wake setter pontoon was back out also......didn't get a new pic of it though.

Noticed a 400 on the back of a JC a couple weeks ago here at the lake....snapped a pic yesterday.  The same guy also had a pontoon with the 300 on it last year.....must have been time for an upgrade.

The bennington wake setter pontoon was back out also......didn't get a new pic of it though.

You'll have to get the scoop on the wake benny for us. And coax that boy with the 400 to romp on it so you can get some video!

The wake bennington is a demo at spend a day.  We talked to the kid at the fuel docks yesterday and he said they have it to demo over the 4th.....even though it's been at the lake for a few weeks now.   I asked him if we could demo it  :D :D   I should have gotten some video of it last weekend even though it was in a no wake zone pulling away from the sandbar.  What I did notice right away is that the rear of the boat sits WAY low in the water with that tube configuration.

DSCN77601_zpsqmc59qor.jpg

DSCN77571_zpsvgjjbq8j.jpg

Awesome news. I tried last year to see if Bennington would allow me to run the 400 on my boat. I didn't want to void my warranty. I also wanted to make sure the boat and hull would be safe. They told me I couldn't upgrade to the 400. If they are offering it, I will look into this again. I mentioned to the wife as we were going to lunch today that Bennington was offering the 400. She asked, "will it make the boat go faster?" I said "yes." She said "So when are you trading for it?" I am not sure if she meant trading the motor or the boat. I'll just assume approval for either. B)  If I do buy a new boat, I learned to wait until Dec or Jan to get a good deal. Hence, if I plan it, I will sell my boat now during the season and be boat less for a few months. We shall see.

Cheers, Steve

Awesome news. I tried last year to see if Bennington would allow me to run the 400 on my boat. I didn't want to void my warranty. I also wanted to make sure the boat and hull would be safe. They told me I couldn't upgrade to the 400. If they are offering it, I will look into this again. I mentioned to the wife as we were going to lunch today that Bennington was offering the 400. She asked, "will it make the boat go faster?" I said "yes." She said "So when are you trading for it?" I am not sure if she meant trading the motor or the boat. I'll just assume approval for either. B)  If I do buy a new boat, I learned to wait until Dec or Jan to get a good deal. Hence, if I plan it, I will sell my boat now during the season and be boat less for a few months. We shall see.

Cheers, Steve

She's a keeper. Go for the twin 400r's  B)

Can't figure out why you would need that much HP on a pontoon. I think you would be better off with twin 200's and a joy stick control. Bout would jump out of the water better and you probably could raise the prop pitches higher for more speed. There are times that more is not better in my mind.

"Too much of good thing....is a good thing" - Alan Jackson

Can't figure out why you would need that much HP on a pontoon. I think you would be better off with twin 200's and a joy stick control. Bout would jump out of the water better and you probably could raise the prop pitches higher for more speed. There are times that more is not better in my mind.

I agree 100%, it's mostly just bragging rights. If there are others on the boat I seldom hammer it.  Even my dog shields his eyes from the wind when we go anything more than about 30mph. I'm not convinced the short windshield changes the game that much either.

The joystick for multiple engines, though, is absolutely da bomb. I had a demo on a big boat with Verado twins in Florida and it was so simple to position a 38' center console boat, just magic.

The joystick for multiple engines, though, is absolutely da bomb. I had a demo on a big boat with Verado twins in Florida and it was so simple to position a 38' center console boat, just magic.

The horse power would be so so in my book. But being able to make my 27' Benny spin a 360 in a tight spot would be absolutely incredible. So twins and the joystick would be my vote!

Then twin 400s it is!

Twin 350s in a pinch!

;-)

Five to say... IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

About how much are they a piece?!?

Back