mines sold.. time to order my new upgrade!! couple questions

youghpirate

Reaction score
ok here it is.  i sold my 2011 20 sli, now its time to order a new one, i got a little time before i order so i want to get all my ducks in a row. i was hoping for some help if y'all dont mind. so heres what i do know for sure:

going with the 24 SSRX, really like the stern couches and 2 captains chairs.

want to get the extended bow option. i do a lot of fishing from my benny.

going to go with a 90 or 115 hp motor

so here is where i have a few question.

standard is 25" toons. was looking at the elliptical pontoons. from what i can see, the elliptical package comes standard with the under deck wavesheild. please correct if wrong.

who has the elliptical toons?  is there much of a difference from round toons?

what motor would be better 90 or 115 with elipticals?

dealer told me if i stick with the round toons 90 would be good. we mostly cruise around and hang out with the "floatin trailer park". lol,  do occasionally pull a tube.

will the ellipticals ride better in rough water?

any help would be great.  thanks

With that model boat, I'd suggest you go with the extended aft end over the extended bow.  It makes the boats with rear loungers seem so much longer.  I was out on my boat late this afternoon towing my Waverunner, and I was thinking how the extended rear end is so nice. 

The ellipticals are Bennington's fastest hull, and they handle heavy loads well.   But ellipticals don't corner as well as the Express Tubes or the SPS.  If you're on a tight budget, Express Tubes are cheaper than ellipticals.  And there's just 1-2 mph difference at the most.

Everyone on this forum will tell you to buy the biggest motor you can afford.  I can tell you that the 150 hp motors with ellipticals or tritoons (and strakes) take performance to another level vs. the 90 or 115 hp motors.  My 24SSLX will run 40 mph (GPS) with a F150 Yamaha, and I really like that motor combo.

I had a 115, ended up trading it for a 150 for tubing reasons with a full boat of teenagers.

Bama is not lying when he says the 150 is a whole new level over a 115.  I would compare the 150 to having two 115s hanging off the back.  HUGE performance difference.  In numbers the difference is 35 hp.  In terms of performance, it feels like 3x that.

But I can understand those that want a lower hp motor just for cruising.  Originally, I just wanted a 9.9 to get on the restricted state park lake!  So I get that.

But I hate to hear someone thinking about buying a 115 and not at least tell them to look REALLY HARD at the 150.

You could go with Express which is cheaper (and is what I have too) and put the money toward a 150...  In my opinion, that would be the smart move.

By the way, what motor did you have on your old boat?

I demo'd an S with Yamaha 150 and twin ellips at the open house 2 years ago. The ride on that thing was phenomenal in wakes and chop, much better than standard tubes. Not big on cornering but good enough for most usage, depending on what you're doing.

thanks for the input. im going to look into the express tubes.

i was looking at the extended bow so i could fish off the front. i fished off the rear of my 20. not bad but hard to control with an electric trolling motor. put the motor on the front, wow!!! easier and smoother.

i had a 50 hp evinrude on my 20, would do 16 mph by gps wide open. usually cruise it at about 13 - 14 just dont like running wide open all the time.

I guess each model has different size bow and stern decks, and it also depends on what your dock setup is like, but I can't imagine not having the extended bow on mine.  I seem to have a good amount of aft deck standard, so I'm not sure what I'd gain with buying the extension for my model.  It does depend on the model and how you will use it.

Regarding extended aft deck...Just didn't fit my budget at this point.  Haven't missed it yet, but I don't know what I'm missing :)  

Extended bow is a no brainer!

I really like the extended aft deck on mine. there is so much room back there to move around, extended bow is really nice as well. I have a 115 and would recommend it as the minimum if you plan to tube behind it. I cannot imagine a 90, and I can imagine the 150 being that's much better.

I would highly recommend the 24 SSRX with SPS and the 150. We do a ton of fishing off of ours and its great for that. We dont have thw extended aft deck but I still fish off the back without a problem. We hit an average of 40 MPH with 4 adults, lots of fishing gear and all the other necessary equipment. Tubing is a blast and just running around doing fast turns at WOT is a awesome.

Back