Moisture & liquid inside of Yamaha analog multi-gauge, tilt, batt and fuel.

M Jay Farr

Reaction score
Today I noticed that I had fog on the inside of my analog gauges. The boat is stored on a lift undercover and no rain for weeks. While underway, it appeared that a small amount of an unknown liquid was visible inside the gauge. No leaks were observed inside the helm? I am stumped.

On my previous boat I had analog guages with the same scenario as you. The dealer told me this is very common and not much can be done about it. But there may be someone on this forum who knows more about this than I do. I have all digital guages on my new boat and have not had this issue.

Water

My 3 analog factory gauges fog up intermittently. I wonder if there is a vent to allow moisture to escape?

I can assume it would be water if one of those gauges had a pressure valve with water coming back to it. However the fuel gauge, tilt and battery don’t strike me as having water pressure sending unit coming back to the gauge.

It’s condensation. Normal, I’ve had it on multiple boats. It’s not a warranty item unless gauge stops working or is unreadable.

Interesting. Having the same issue on my tach & 3-in-1 gauges. Understand the answer but expected better for what is otherwise an outstanding boat.

Agree with Semp. Condensation. Sometimes it would take mine awhile to clear up. The gauges were fine. It's just temperature changes......

Is there a vent that can be checked to verify it is clear? Or drill tiny hole in bezel? There are tiny bits used for oxy/acetylene torch orifices.

Last edited:
A little ride in the sun will clear it up

I have the same issue and was told it was condensation. It normally clears up after a short ride.

It’s condensation. Normal, I’ve had it on multiple boats. It’s not a warranty item unless gauge stops working or is unreadable.
Actually my Dealer replace my gauge with the same issue. They also said to clear it up turn on your gauge lights for a couple minutes.

Time for a new boat Jay! Ha!

Time for a new boat Jay! Ha!
Well that’s just it, this is a new boat with only 17 hours on it. I will inquire with my dealer when it goes in for the 20 hour check as to their position. Everything works OK, just a bit distracting.

Well that’s just it, this is a new boat with only 17 hours on it. I will inquire with my dealer when it goes in for the 20 hour check as to their position. Everything works OK, just a bit distracting.
You've got to get down to SML more and put hours on that boat! Just 17 hrs? Arlington will be there when you get back. Speaking of Arlington. Drove up there last weekend to see family members I haven't seen since March. Accident on 395 across from the Pentagon and Pentagon City Mall. Don't miss the traffic up there. Enough said.....

Back