Motor capabilities and ECU flashes

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
As I stated before I have the same tritoon you mine is a 2018 the best I could get is 42 in wide open throttle half a tank clean Tunes to two adults. 15 x15 SS. Am I understanding that the 200 Verado is the same as the other larger motors. And you can flashthem to bring up the horsepower without damaging the outdrive or the internal parts of the motor.

Do you have the Mercury Verado 200 I4, or the 200 HP Verado Pro I6? That makes a difference. We have the 200 Verado Pro i6 - so that also has the supercharger, and the 6 cylinders.

Ours can be ECU flashed up to something like 300 or 325 HP. In the I6 version, they are all the same motor tuned and ECU’d to different HP. That said, I am unsure if there are any nuanced and slightly unique parts in the different models. Most people tell me there are not, but I am not sure I am 100% on board with that. Just seems off in my mind...

jhill

Reaction score
Does the Yamaha 150 have the ability for performance upgrades? Does it share heavier components with factory higher output Yamaha's ? Thanks!

Bob V

Reaction score
Do you have the Mercury Verado 200 I4, or the 200 HP Verado Pro I6? That makes a difference. We have the 200 Verado Pro i6 - so that also has the supercharger, and the 6 cylinders.

Ours can be ECU flashed up to something like 300 or 325 HP. In the I6 version, they are all the same motor tuned and ECU’d to different HP. That said, I am unsure if there are any nuanced and slightly unique parts in the different models. Most people tell me there are not, but I am not sure I am 100% on board with that. Just seems off in my mind...
I have the 200 hp V6

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
I have the 200 hp V6

Same as me then. Isn’t it a great motor? We love it!!!

Yup, it can be flashed - fairly substantially. I’d minimally make sure its off motor warranty first, as any flash with void that warranty. That said, I do not have all the details.

Bob V

Reaction score
Same as me then. Isn’t it a great motor? We love it!!!

Yup, it can be flashed - fairly substantially. I’d minimally make sure its off motor warranty first, as any flash with void that warranty. That said, I do not have all the details.
Yes I have a 5 yr. warranty for the motor.

RunningYld

Reaction score
I guess you snooze you lose.
I should have taken the boat out of storage in February and sent the ECM to Simmons.
Emailed them yesterday to send it in and was told "something unexpected has recently come up and we no longer have a tune to offer for any Verado motors, I’m sorry. I don’t have any explanation to offer."
Also said this was a permanent issue.
I was happy with the 250 and only wanted the extra 95 HP because "why wouldn't you" and it was available and cheap.
I already told the boat I was going to give it $600 so I'll have to find something else to buy it.

lakeliving

Reaction score
Weird. I wonder what happened there. Probably a lawsuit.

jtrovato21

Reaction score
That's not good to hear. I hope it's not for all Mercury's and just the Verado line. We have a non-Verado V6 200 HP version from 2019 and was hoping to flash it once the warranty is up in a few years.

Dgj

Reaction score
A few weeks ago while doing a google search looking for a tuner in Florida another forum popped up in the results and it said mercury sues Simmons but at the time I didn’t think much about and for the life of me I can not find it again now that I have been told they would not be able to flash the ecu for me.

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
I was considering a flash once my warranty was up after 2021. Originally I wasn’t going to bother, then I got to thinking about doing it after adding the Sea Legs last season. Was unsure about doing it for 1-2 reasons, but I guess this closes the door on that possiblity.

All of that said, I wonder about the ability to stop it via lawsuit as it doesn’t seem any different than modifying a motor mechanically, you are simply doing so electronically. Thus, with Mercury refusing to recognize them via warranty coverage (understandable), it seems like that would be the end of it on Merc’s end.

I wonder if there is simply a temporary cease and desist order pending a hearing or something...?

Dgj

Reaction score
I would imagine mercury has the ability to out money them so I dout it is temporary. If it is actually a mercury lawsuit. It could be one of many parties. That has caused it to be shut down.

RunningYld

Reaction score
I asked a follow up question if it was permanent or a temporary issue and was told "its permanent".
No other information was provided or asked for.
I agree with Dgj. If its a legal issue pushed by Mercury they have more cash to spend on lawyers than the small tune/performance shops can come up with.
Now we have to find a place that will "fix" our ECM's and ooops somehow you have more HP. ;)

Maholli

Reaction score
If u already have the licenses then you still own them. I have my original tune, the 325hp tune and the 345hp one. I have the flash tool as well so i can still flash mine to stock and play with the other maps. Mercury only threatened legal action and is not taking it as long as the all stopped offering them.

Last edited:

kaydano

Reaction score
Could be some people are flashing their ECUs during the warranty period (not after) and then they have problems, which means Mercury has to fight them on it. That would make for bad PR. If that was the case, it would be better for Mercury to try to stop the shops that reprogram them.

RunningYld

Reaction score
No, its more like people r saving money and instead of paying for a 350hp they just flash a 200 or 250hp.

First thing that crossed my mind when I learned they were available, why would anyone buy a 350 when you can make your own?
One of the engineers in my department used to work for Bobcat and said they do the same thing with diesel skid steer engines. All the same engine with different programming for various HP levels. Bobcat has to pay more "taxes" or emissions fees when they sell the higher HP engines so they charge more for them. I'm sure the additional fees aren't nearly as high as the price difference the customer pays but the higher HP engines do cost more to produce, or at least sell.

Maholli

Reaction score
i have family who r heavily involved with Mercury and few weeks ago some Mercury reps where at the dealership and they told me Mercury was shutting them down.

jtrovato21

Reaction score
I don't see how Mercury can stop someone from tuning their engines. There are shops that tune car engines all the time to get more HP out of them. How is the boat industry any different? Sounds to me like Mercury is pushing their weight around to scare Simon Performance into stopping their operation to avoid the legal battle. In the end, I don't see how Mercury could win if this went to court.

Dgj

Reaction score
If you have enough money and are willing to spend it you can win all most anything.
I wonder if they are concerned about motors blowing up and this giving them a bad rap. And in turn costing them sales.

RunningYld

Reaction score
I'd bet they are more concerned with people that wouldn't pay the dealer thousands of dollars more for a 300 when I can pay far less for a 200 and send the computer in and have a 345 in a week for $650. If I didn't want to void the warranty I'd have to wait a few years to get the extra HP but if the boat holds up as well as the Bennys do whats a few years? An extra 145 HP after a few years will make it feel like a new boat again.

Still don't know how they can legally strong arm the tuners though. Can take any automobile motor and get it tuned. But there are enough people tuning car engines they probably can't stop them all. Outboard tuners is a much smaller list of targets to lean on. The diesel tuners are starting to get tougher to find because the EPA has been cracking down for the EGR deletes and removal of other HP stealing emissions stuff. Had a friend recently get a diesel tuned and he had to sign paperwork saying it would be an "off road" vehicle only :).