Music onboard

tjozwiak

Reaction score
I have a Q25 with a pretty cool Kicker stereo set up. However I live in rural northern Michigan and have rather poor FM radio reception and there is no CD.
I have looked into Sirius XM with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions . I have tried a couple of USB connected CD player and the system display indicates no devise found.

You should be able to get a Sirius. Portable thru the FM turner ,or blue tooth . My portable works thru the turner but since it's 20 years old no blue tooth. Also on a portable you have the 1.5 plug in .
Now i have a built in Sirius tuner .

What lake are you on up here? I'm on the Inland Waterway, Burt & Mullett.

Do you normally have okay FM radio reception in your area, like in your car, but simply not on your boat? If the poor FM reception is solely related to you boat kicker system, you might be able to improve. There should be a wire style antennae under the helm and plugged into the receiver. However, they typically are left coiled up and stuffed to the side when the dealership rigs them. If you untie and try to spread it along under there, it should improve reception. If you modify to pull it up exterior along helm or change to a helm mount antennae, that too should drastically improve reception IF you want to go that route. Just tossing out some possible trouble shooting options separate from Sirius, streaming, etc…

We are in northern MI, but on Houghton Lake. So not toooooo rural, and great cell reception. So streaming from phone to kicker system works flawlessly where we boat. But I realize if you are rural without lake cell phone reception that phone Bluetooth streaming isn’t an option.

Not sure what you have for a receiver in the dashboard. If it has Bluetooth you should be able to pair your phone or a tablet and play any music stored on your phone or tablet. Some receivers only pair with iPhones. You don’t need an outside signal to pair 2 devices, the receiver and phone for example, by Bluetooth. It’s just a signal between the devices. My older receiver had a cable in the back of the unit I could plug into an iPod or iPhone with the right adapter. Suggest checking with the manufacturer of the receiver for details on connectivity.

I always forget many people store music on their phones. Yup, that would work via bluetooth too. Since I stream, don’t store, I always overlook that possibility. If I didn’t have good cell signal on our lake, I’d start a stored playlist and go that route myself.

Good Reminder Bobby!!!

Using Spotify, we have saved over 20 hours of music on our phones - takes very little storage and easy to add new songs, then BlueTooth to the head unit (or USB cord when using friends phones). Now, we do have to store out Cell Phones in the cooler - or they overheat and shut down (WindChill in Havasu is +118) - we carry several very long USB with bright colors.

Using Spotify, we have saved over 20 hours of music on our phones - takes very little storage and easy to add new songs, then BlueTooth to the head unit (or USB cord when using friends phones). Now, we do have to store out Cell Phones in the cooler - or they overheat and shut down (WindChill in Havasu is +118) - we carry several very long USB with bright colors.
Wow that’s crazy hot. The hottest temp I’ve experienced was Phoenix on the 4th of July. 114 in the shade. I like hot but that was over the top. I have to watch my phone isn’t overheating on the dash when I’m streaming music but putting a towel is enough to keep it cool in the Northeast in the summer.

The Bluetooth connection with my onboard stereo is excellent. Once I paired it with my iPhone it connects every time I power up the boat. I can even walk off the dock if the power is still on (with the motor off) and the music keeps on playing.

Back