My first Bennington

Debbie T

Reaction score
We just bought a Bennington!!! I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I wondered if you all could let me know what I will need to purchase such as bouys and what size, how many (4?) etc. We don't get it till the first of April and I want to be prepared. Does it drive different on the water with a full tank of gas? Should I always keep it full? Any extra stuff to buy to make your days on the water great! I owned a Mastercraft ski boat when my boys were growing up and that was many years ago. Now I get to take my grandkids out on the boat!!! Can you put a rear view mirror on so when pulling someone you can always have them in your site line? I know a lot has changed and I ordered a catalog from Overtons. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much and happy boating!

Welcome aboard!!! Need pics!! ;)
We have 4 fenders but use 3 on our docking side. We only have the one sided dock. Ours are 6x24. We also had them install Taylor quick releases for them.

I use 8.5 X 27 ,with line at Amazon .$80
I use the EzFender to hang them

https://www.amazon.com/Ribbed-Marin...8&qid=1521189880&sr=8-17&keywords=Boat+Bumper

http://www.ezfender.com/

61oCGPnleBL._SL1165_.jpg

Last edited:
Both of Jack M's suggestions are right on. Definitely get the larger fenders as they are well worth the extra money to protect your baby

My wife and I keep the following on our boat:
Sunscreen, plastic ware, plates, cups, bottle opener, salt, pepper, coolzies, spare beach towels, emergency disposable ponchos, cheap loaner sunglasses (people always forget), 4 dedicated bumpers like above plus a spare, 4 dock lines with ends dipped in yellow paint (keeps them from disappearing), flashlight, basic tools, spot light, first aid kit, good anchor with 100 foot rope, several swim noodles, small bucket with cleaning supplies, gas funnel, engine oil, chemicals for porta potty, toilet paper, boat blankets, small trash bags, hand sanitizer, spare light bulb for nav lights, air pump for floatables, collapsible docking pole, 2 small trash cans that fit in the lounge end storage area (use one for empties and other for trash).

Have the PTM Edge mirror Jack mentions and love it! The best you can buy. Also have two totes that fit under the helm to store most of the stuff above.

Wow. That long list of stuff matches what we keep on our boat almost 100%! I don't have pepper though. Salt, yes. Pepper no.

I also keep a 32 ounce Hawkeye cup on board for peeing in when it's too crowded to pee off the back and too cold to jump in. I'm an Iowa State alum. Sometimes the porta potty is to much hassle...

To Debbie, look up the minimum safety equipment required in your state. Most are the same. Google it.

Also take an online boater safety course. There are lots of free sites. There are TONS of good info in those courses. You'd be surprised. They don't take long.

+1 on taking a boating course.

Welcome to Bennington and to this forum. My Bennington came with 4 fenders, anchor, chain & line, 4 PFD’s, can’t rememer what else. Ask your dealor about this.

Welcome and congrats on the new boat. Lets hear more about it. BoatUS has a nice free course online. I did it when I recently moved to a new state. Looks like the other guys already covered your other questions. Enjoy!

My wife and I keep the following on our boat:
Sunscreen, plastic ware, plates, cups, bottle opener, salt, pepper, coolzies, spare beach towels, emergency disposable ponchos, cheap loaner sunglasses (people always forget), 4 dedicated bumpers like above plus a spare, 4 dock lines with ends dipped in yellow paint (keeps them from disappearing), flashlight, basic tools, spot light, first aid kit, good anchor with 100 foot rope, several swim noodles, small bucket with cleaning supplies, gas funnel, engine oil, chemicals for porta potty, toilet paper, boat blankets, small trash bags, hand sanitizer, spare light bulb for nav lights, air pump for floatables, collapsible docking pole, 2 small trash cans that fit in the lounge end storage area (use one for empties and other for trash).

Have the PTM Edge mirror Jack mentions and love it! The best you can buy. Also have two totes that fit under the helm to store most of the stuff above.

I hate to sound stupid but when you say boat blankets, are they special to a boat or just any blanket? Also what is a collapsible docking pole? Thank you as that is a awesome list!

I hate to sound stupid but when you say boat blankets, are they special to a boat or just any blanket? Also what is a collapsible docking pole? Thank you as that is a awesome list!
Sorry Debbie, we have ordinary blankets that we keep on the boat so we just call them boat blankets. The docking pole has a hook and push-off to help keep you from hitting things or pull you toward a dock. Really nice to have on a windy day.

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/pr...MI46iBiuLx2QIVyy-BCh1v7gomEAUYAiABEgLjjPD_BwE

For those of you who asked me what we bought 2016, 25RSRX tritoon, black/silver, 60 hours, with a new Mercury 300 motor.
Holy Crap! First boat and it's a rocket ship!

Welcome! I'm the odd man out but I only have two bumpers and think I only used them once in the past two years. IMO, it really depends on how you'll dock it and whether you'll be rafting up. Our dock has two sides so we tie her up in the middle so no need for bumpers and we don't raft-up. I'd also recommend a small tool kit with extra fuses just in case. Remember to post some pictures! You're in for a real treat...

Back