New 2014 24ft SCWX3

Ryanj68763

Reaction score
We are trying to decide between a SCWX I/O 5.0mpi, and a SBRX with a 200 hp Yamaha. This is our first boat and need advice. TIA.

Going with the I/O gets a little expensive--even in a S model hull.   If I was going I/O, it'd be with a more expensive hull/interior package (R model).

The S model SES hull with the F200 Yamaha appears to perform very well, and is more reasonably priced.  I'm perfectly satisfied with my 24SSLX as it's well suited for my needs. 

I've had a couple of I/O's over the years and not had the best service from them.  They're fine the first few years, but can be such a pain when they start needing bellows, maintenance and repairs.  And I don't choose to deal with marine catalytic converters. 

My Yamaha 115 hp on a pontoon boat gave me 27 years service with only $241 in total maintenance costs.  I was performing maintenance yesterday on my F150, and was marveling at the compact engineering of my motor.

Good luck to you in your boat building decisions.

Unless you have ever owned an I/O, and or this is your first boat, I'd recommend an outboard for the simplicity of the maintenance, winterizing, just general overall ease of an outboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on an outboard.

+2 on the outboard

Yes this is our family's first boat. I had one before I was married, but it was more like a hole in the water I dumped money in, and it was a outboard. So that is why I am reluctant. I know they have come a long way since the early 90's. We are going to be on big water and I just want something is stable and reliable. I just can't get myself convinced to buy an outboard, and welcome all info. There is no info I can find on the I/O in a s series that I can find. So I am also reluctant to make that jump. So I appreciate all help.

60K for an "S" model?

If your going to spend that kind of money, I'd look at a fully loaded G.

60K for an "S" model?
Heck, my loaded R was right around there with a 250 Pro, no trailer  :blink:

Anyway, I'd go for the outboard. Modern 4-stroke and also the E-Tec outboards are nothing like you might have experienced in the 90's. They are very refined and mostly bulletproof. My dealer charges considerably more for the I/O maintenance specifically on a pontoon just because it's usually harder to get to.

I know they have come a long way since the early 90's. We are going to be on big water and I just want something is stable and reliable.
It's just like a 90's Mustang vs. todays' Mustang ..... not even a comparison .....  :D

The advantage of the I/O is the counter rotating props and the look of the boat.  Everything else the O/B wins.  The O/B saves you money on maintenance,  winterizing, repairs, no cracked blocks/heads.  The O/B is normally faster because the center of gravity is father back and you can trim the toons up for less drag.  We have the I/O and I love it, but I knew the extra expenses needed to maintain it when we bought it.  PS, the service guys would much rather work on an O/B.

That is a beautiful loaded boat! What is the difference between that S model and the R and G models?!? Only thing I can see is the plushness of the seats/upholstery/interior. Anything else?!?

I have only owned 2 boats............ both I/O's. Love 'em! Just like the look and the clean lines of the stern area. After we sold our bowrider we were looking for a pontoon boat w/an outboard but we came across our current I/O. We were already familiar w/this set up so we jumped on it.............

It's just a matter of preference............My next boat may be an outboard. If we ever buy another one. We'll see. 

This is from when I was looking to purchase and trying to decide between the G & R.  Each step up does give quite a better seat from what I saw. G/R Differences:

>

> Console size/design/instrument cluster

> Helm chair size/design

> Upholstery detailing and optional stitch patterns (like diamond cut) R only

> Exterior rail detailing and length of verticals

> Portable cupholder wood trim R only

> Fold-down chaise armrest in R only

> Stainless grab bar (at console) R only

> M-6 Stereo installed beneath console with remote pad on helm R only

> Fiberglass helm door R only

> Stainless docking lights standard on R, optional G

> Heavy duty rubrail standard on R, optional on G

Thanks Link.............more differences than I thought.

It's just like a 90's Mustang vs. todays' Mustang ..... not even a comparison ..... :D
Again with the car references... I like the 86 IROc Z and the 86 Mustang GT. AGAIN do not ask me why...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bamaman, all Bennington's are nice!  It is what best fits your needs.  The difference in speed with the same motor on an S versus an R is ridiculous and most of the forum values speed.  Right now with my 115 my WOT is 24 but since I generally cruise at 7 - 10 mph [on a 29 mile long lake] it made more sense to spend the money [42K] on a luxury seating living room with all possible LED lights rather than the beautiful S with the look of the IO and the horses that would run circles around me.  Not haters just different choices 

Excellent point Mark. It's directly counter to the mainstream thinking "Get all the HP you can get." What YOU are saying is "Get all the boat you can get" and it's very much just as valid of a statement. It just depends what you are looking for in a boat.

Now when are you getting that 150???

S, G, R, Q ... ?? The primary difference is how much deeper in debt you are willing to go... :)

I only have an RLi cause it was leftover that was as cheap as the G we were going to order which ended up as cheap as the loaded S we had ordered ( which started as a 20' SLX and went to 24')

Back