New boat, accessory time

Reaction score
Good Morning everyone. I just picked up a 2016 Bennington 22SS for a really good price with a Yamaha 115. Im looking to see what everyone has for accessories. The list i have is Wake tower for canopy, speakers and lights (similar to a wake board boat) in water lighting, interior lighting. Boat mounted BBQ, removable water slide. anything performance wise that has been proven on your boats. Im planning on a custom wrap for sure next winter. our boat will only be used from may- end of September. I may consider adding a 3rd tune depending how things go this summer

Welcome to the family! How about posting a few pictures? Unless you’re extremely handy, you might want to think twice about the arch and third toon and just enjoy what you have. My two cents: Both those items tend to be rather expensive and quite heavy. At the end of the day, you might not be totally happy with the results.

I will post pictures of it when i can (dark once i get home from work), I'm extremely excited about it. I'm a lead technician for a specialty division of Caterpillar and own my own business doing heavy diesel repair and fabrication, so the labor side I'm not concerned about. I've herd from a few people that adding the 3rd toon will increase speed, fuel efficiency and load capacity, so I'm interested in possibly doing it next winter if i do end up doing it. as far as the wake tower i love the way they look and what i can install on them. For some reason i don't like to leave anything stock when i purchase it (trucks, Snowmobiles, side by sides). I have a bunch of ideas in my head already just looking for pictures and reviews from some add ons that people have already done and have feedback on.

Ditch the arch. We hate ours.
They are only for looks, nothing else, plus they are heavy and rob top speed. My 24' Bennington with a 300 HP will only run 41 MPH.

A mirror is probably a necessity while pulling a tube, ill have to look into that. thanks
I'm from the old school. A spotter was required in the boat when skiing or tubing. But with a mirror a spotter is not required. ( At least this is the case in North Carolina) 95% of the time it's just my wife and I on the boat. So if she wants to ski we're legal! Plus I use the mirror even when not skiing......

I'm from the old school. A spotter was required in the boat when skiing or tubing. But with a mirror a spotter is not required. ( At least this is the case in North Carolina) 95% of the time it's just my wife and I on the boat. So if she wants to ski we're legal! Plus I use the mirror even when not skiing......
Good to know thank you.

Congratulations! Always exciting to get the new boat. Looking forward to some pictures as well once you get a chance.

Accessory Ideas:

(1) Does it currently have underskinning? With your job/skills, if your boat does not have them (very well may), this is a great upgrade. Improves ride quality. However, if you added it you’d need to reconfigure it IF you add a 3rd pontoon, or you’d want to wait until after adding a third pontoon if you in fact add on. If you do a search in these forums (upper right search box) there have been a few to add this one their own with write ups about doing so.

(2) Lillypad jumping board. The item is pricey, but they look like a lot of fun. If I were on a deeper lake, I’d add one. Installation looks simple, so for someone like you it would be an easy add on. if it would be of use and the price isn’t discouraging, perhaps worth considering.

Some thoughts and observations on Tritoon/Arch*: You sound like you have the skill set to do hard core DIY changes. So…

Third Pontoon: You are correct on some of the advantages of a 3rd pontoon to turn it into a tritoon. After market ones are usually cheaper, lack some of the nuances that maximize those benefits. Thus factory OEM is better in this regard. Ability to purchase an OEM center pontoon may be a challenge currently and shipping is nuanced in normal times on them. Most have not added them because with increased cost of just getting it, it often makes sense to buy the pontoon that way from the beginning. That said, can be done. I’d consult with some experienced people or Bennington directly, about doing it before starting the project. If you do, perhaps share what you learn or do back here in the forum for others to consider…?

Arch: These attach through the flooring to the frame (I don’t know details, just based on other discussions). As noted above, very heavy. You would need to do some major disassembly of furniture, flooring, etc to attach one properly and securely. Some layouts don’t allow for arches due to furniture and layout obstructions. As noted, due to weight there is a loss of performance factor to them. They look cool, but provide little real functionality (speakers and tow bars or turbo swings can be added or are already there to do the same thing). You also have less bimini cover with them. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the look of them. Just pointing out some considerations.

Given they can weigh upwards of another 1,000lbs, I consider them something for the big HP pontoons only. That arch weight is also going to count against the boats capacity. With a 115HP motor, you’d kill what little performance you will get from that motor. And unfortunately you are topped out for motor size with your hull/transome. I would advise against this addition due to HP limits of boat and motor alone. I could go on, but I’d really caution you to give this addition a huge second thought. An arch on a pontoon/tritoon is a neat looking accessory, but one that really needs a big HP motor and a stock full tritoon hull to really deal with the stresses, weight, etc… IMHO.

* Inquire in advance with Bennington if either of these DIY changes would void warranty (did you get warranty transferred to you via a dealer?). I am assuming both would do so as you are messing around with structural elements of the boat. Also, it would probably be worthwhile to check with insurance if either of these (particularly the arch) would voice coverage in case of an accident/mishap. Boat coverage can get quirky. Just pointing these out so you can get all info in advance before committing to any plan of action.

These concerns aside, Laurencetheadventurer is a member in the forums. He has done a lot of DIY to their newer Bennington. He had a post recently with a schematic of his set up. Lots of posts this past year walking through his thoughts and additions. Added a SUP holder, customized some of his storage, etc… He might be someone who’s posts might be of interest to you. Here is his latest post as a starting point:

LtA Modifications/Layout Details

Wow thank you for the information, the boat currently doesn't have any under skirting( i can see the cross members and flooring from bellow) I am assuming this helps mainly with water noise. I'm not sure i am in the market for a diving board as of yet, my girls are 3,6 and 7 years old, some sort of a slide would be more beneficial for the ages. If i do an additional toon it will most defiantly look factory( weather i buy it from bennington or an aftermarket vendor. another option i though about was ordering a standard log and welding my transom/fuel carrier into the log to simulate a factory transom log) however i will most defiantly run the pontoon this season to see how i like it. as far as the wake tower goes I'm looking more for lights/speakers and top vs towing from it and storage so if there is any other options available I'm defiantly open to ideas(especially with pictures). I know my boat didn't come with a warrantee as i bought it private party for a really good price unless bennington has a warrantee that follows the boat with different owners. down the road i may get a larger outboard if i make it a triton. the way boat prices are in my area i can throw well over $20,000 at this boat and still be less than buying a triton, I drove 1800 Miles to pick up this boat at the price i got it for. I really appreciate everyone's input and would love to here more. Does anyone have any proven performance upgrades to a Yamaha 115 to give it a little more? as stated in my original post i cant leave anything stock after i buy it.

Wow thank you for the information, the boat currently doesn't have any under skirting( i can see the cross members and flooring from bellow) I am assuming this helps mainly with water noise. I'm not sure i am in the market for a diving board as of yet, my girls are 3,6 and 7 years old, some sort of a slide would be more beneficial for the ages. If i do an additional toon it will most defiantly look factory( weather i buy it from bennington or an aftermarket vendor. another option i though about was ordering a standard log and welding my transom/fuel carrier into the log to simulate a factory transom log) however i will most defiantly run the pontoon this season to see how i like it. as far as the wake tower goes I'm looking more for lights/speakers and top vs towing from it and storage so if there is any other options available I'm defiantly open to ideas(especially with pictures). I know my boat didn't come with a warrantee as i bought it private party for a really good price unless bennington has a warrantee that follows the boat with different owners. down the road i may get a larger outboard if i make it a triton. the way boat prices are in my area i can throw well over $20,000 at this boat and still be less than buying a triton, I drove 1800 Miles to pick up this boat at the price i got it for. I really appreciate everyone's input and would love to here more. Does anyone have any proven performance upgrades to a Yamaha 115 to give it a little more? as stated in my original post i cant leave anything stock after i buy it.
Like the post above stated, I would definitely nix the arch idea. My boat is 24' and with a 300 hp only runs 41 MPH GPS speed. You boat with a 115 hp might get to 25 MPH. They only provide 9' of cover, Benningtons standard top is 10'. And did i mention if you board on the side gate you have to really duck to enter the boat.

Attachments

• 64850779439__8B395508-0392-4C7E-AF99-0EEFB1F9FA10.jpeg
    64850779439__8B395508-0392-4C7E-AF99-0EEFB1F9FA10.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 16
The Bennington warranty is transferable if done the right way. Many on here can help with that. It might be it's only so if done through a dealer.

Like the post above stated, I would definitely nix the arch idea. My boat is 24' and with a 300 hp only runs 41 MPH GPS speed. You boat with a 115 hp might get to 25 MPH. They only provide 9' of cover, Benningtons standard top is 10'. And did i mention if you board on the side gate you have to really duck to enter the boat.
I absolutely love the look of your arch. The owners i picked it up from said they saw 32mph with the boat with 2 adults and 2 kids on it. I'm not looking for a speed demon ( that's what my side by side and sleds are for) 75% of the time the boat will be used on a lake that is roughly 4 miles from end to end. Ill take it out on the bigger lakes with more people on the major holidays but wont expect it to break a land speed record. If there were some performance mods that i could add that would balance out some of the add on that i want. I'm going to run it this season as is to see how it runs. If i do the added 3rd toon in the future most likely a larger engine will be added shortly after. This boat is in immaculate condition with only 60 hrs on it.

The Bennington warranty is transferable if done the right way. Many on here can help with that. It might be it's only so if done through a dealer.
I know the previous owners didn't mention anything about it having a warrantee, ill call the local dealer in the next couple weeks and see if this has anything transferable.

I know the previous owners didn't mention anything about it having a warrantee, ill call the local dealer in the next couple weeks and see if this has anything transferable.
Bennington’s warranty is transferable to one new owner, but the “paperwork” online needs to be done through a dealerhsip. Small fee involved. Worth the call to get it in motion. Your 2016 has either a 7 year or 10 year bow to stern warranty. It changed up somewhere around that time period, so ask the dealer about it.

That said, sounds like you got a heck of a deal on the boat. I can appreciate just grabbing it in this market, and worry about a potentail upgrade down the road if after using it the possibility of going bigger remains appealing over time. Darn things are pricey!

The underskinning helps with noise as you mention. It also smooths out the ride considerably with surging. Particuarly with a dual toon, water will surge and hit the cross-members as you speed up and try to get up on plan. Holds you back, creates a “catching” kind of feel or ride at times. Very noticeable in choppy water. Will still happen with a tritoon as well, but much less so.

The underskinning allows that water to be smoothly displaced. Keeps marine plywood underneath dry. Reduces noice while also making for a more confortable ride. Also aids in getting up on plan faster which will be nice with your 115HP. With your skills, I’d highly recommend adding it.

That said, if you add underskinning, only do it after other upgrades and wiring are done. It is like drywalling your walls and ceiling in a basement. Once you add it on, you lose easy access to the bottom side of the boat. Thus, running new wires and what not is best done before doing something like this.

FYI, with the diversity of layouts and boat rear-ends, post some pictures of that area of your boat when you can. After seeing the back of your boat, some people might have some neat ideas for mounting speakers, or lights, etc… from your list of upgrade ideas.

After Speaker and Lighting Ideas/Non-Arch:

The aft deck set-up for my Swingback has the built in Bennington speaker grill and lighting. Honestly, it is basically a cut out with a RGB lighted speaker grill insert. Although a stock upgrade accessory, again someone with your skills, could probably cut and internally mount a slick set up of their own without a tower.

Providing picture of my setup simply as food for thought. Entire grill lights up with RGB lighting (see bide beneath pictures). Pretty cool in the dark, and a neat chrome look during the daytime:

AD993AEF-FBC9-4E57-8487-5F7230A359DE.jpegED20CBFC-5F95-4F34-919C-6A8350D8D2DD.jpegB183F79D-2881-483F-81EC-72D5DD2ACFF0.jpeg

What the RGB lighted grill looks like in use - 14 sec video from when I first received my order back in 2017:

Aft Chrome RBG Speakers and Grill

Bennington’s warranty is transferable to one new owner, but the “paperwork” online needs to be done through a dealerhsip. Small fee involved. Worth the call to get it in motion. Your 2016 has either a 7 year or 10 year bow to stern warranty. It changed up somewhere around that time period, so ask the dealer about it.

That said, sounds like you got a heck of a deal on the boat. I can appreciate just grabbing it in this market, and worry about a potentail upgrade down the road if after using it the possibility of going bigger remains appealing over time. Darn things are pricey!

The underskinning helps with noise as you mention. It also smooths out the ride considerably with surging. Particuarly with a dual toon, water will surge and hit the cross-members as you speed up and try to get up on plan. Holds you back, creates a “catching” kind of feel or ride at times. Very noticeable in choppy water. Will still happen with a tritoon as well, but much less so.

The underskinning allows that water to be smoothly displaced. Keeps marine plywood underneath dry. Reduces noice while also making for a more confortable ride. Also aids in getting up on plan faster which will be nice with your 115HP. With your skills, I’d highly recommend adding it.

That said, if you add underskinning, only do it after other upgrades and wiring are done. It is like drywalling your walls and ceiling in a basement. Once you add it on, you lose easy access to the bottom side of the boat. Thus, running new wires and what not is best done before doing something like this.

FYI, with the diversity of layouts and boat rear-ends, post some pictures of that area of your boat when you can. After seeing the back of your boat, some people might have some neat ideas for mounting speakers, or lights, etc… from your list of upgrade ideas.

After Speaker and Lighting Ideas/Non-Arch:

The aft deck set-up for my Swingback has the built in Bennington speaker grill and lighting. Honestly, it is basically a cut out with a RGB lighted speaker grill insert. Although a stock upgrade accessory, again someone with your skills, could probably cut and internally mount a slick set up of their own without a tower.

Providing picture of my setup simply as food for thought. Entire grill lights up with RGB lighting (see bide beneath pictures). Pretty cool in the dark, and a neat chrome look during the daytime:

View attachment 31848View attachment 31849View attachment 31850

What the RGB lighted grill looks like in use - 14 sec video from when I first received my order back in 2017:

Aft Chrome RBG Speakers and Grill
I like the looks of that. I'm assuming the ring around the outboard is some sort of tow mechanism? how about the tow arches that are on the rear of some boats that are hardmounted? For skirting I'm sure i can find some sheets of 1/16th or 1/8th aluminum to throw under it and can always modify it down the road if i decide to add the center log. The boat came factory with some speakers mounted below all the loungers but ideally i would like to add more. Ill post some pictures of it this weeked for sure.

I like the looks of that. I'm assuming the ring around the outboard is some sort of tow mechanism? how about the tow arches that are on the rear of some boats that are hardmounted? For skirting I'm sure i can find some sheets of 1/16th or 1/8th aluminum to throw under it and can always modify it down the road if i decide to add the center log. The boat came factory with some speakers mounted below all the loungers but ideally i would like to add more. Ill post some pictures of it this weeked for sure.
The ring around the outboard is called a Turbo Swing. It is rated for both skiing and tubing, whereas most (not all) tow bars are only rated for skiing…not tubing. It holds more weight/force/pressure, is out of the way of the aft deck, AND is easier to add on than a tow bar. Bolts on and off of the engine mount bracket on the transom.

We prefer it for a few reasons: A) rated for tubing and can tow a heavier load (our youngest is a H.S. senior, other three boys young adults, 2 out of college). We only tow little kids when we have company. Thus we can tow our 3-4 person SuberMable, all adults, with no worries. B) frees up my aft deck from obstructions so it is open for standing, walking, etc….

Worthwhile for us and our uses in those two regards.

FYI: they do make the heavy duty tow bars, some rated for actual tubes. They require a bit more work for adding onto the boat if you don’t already have any tow bar..but again doable for someone such as yourself. That said, the Turbo Swing is rated for all uses AND just bolts on. Cannot beat the ease of adding it.

FYI #2: We prefer our aft deck clear. Others prefer having a traditional tow bar back there because they can use it as a handle for stability, OR mount things on it such as a grill or fishing pole holders. Thus, I think ones personal tastes, boat uses, etc… play a big factor in whether one prefers the Turbo Swing or traditional tow bar.

Zoom in on this picture and you can kind of see how the Turbo Swing just bolts onto the transom motor bracket:
D8CE9B27-780D-4D89-B65E-8197594AAD91.jpeg

The ring around the outboard is called a Turbo Swing. It is rated for both skiing and tubing, whereas most (not all) tow bars are only rated for skiing…not tubing. It holds more weight/force/pressure, is out of the way of the aft deck, AND is easier to add on than a tow bar. Bolts on and off of the engine mount bracket on the transom.

We prefer it for a few reasons: A) rated for tubing and can tow a heavier load (our youngest is a H.S. senior, other three boys young adults, 2 out of college). We only tow little kids when we have company. Thus we can tow our 3-4 person SuberMable, all adults, with no worries. B) frees up my aft deck from obstructions so it is open for standing, walking, etc….

Worthwhile for us and our uses in those two regards.

FYI: they do make the heavy duty tow bars, some rated for actual tubes. They require a bit more work for adding onto the boat if you don’t already have any tow bar..but again doable for someone such as yourself. That said, the Turbo Swing is rated for all uses AND just bolts on. Cannot beat the ease of adding it.

FYI #2: We prefer our aft deck clear. Others prefer having a traditional tow bar back there because they can use it as a handle for stability, OR mount things on it such as a grill or fishing pole holders. Thus, I think ones personal tastes, boat uses, etc… play a big factor in whether one prefers the Turbo Swing or traditional tow bar.

Zoom in on this picture and you can kind of see how the Turbo Swing just bolts onto the transom motor bracket:
View attachment 31851
I Do like that. For now only thing ill being pulling is tubes ( mainly kids) might do some adult tubing adventures depending how much adult beverages are consumed. nobody i know skis. I and my buddy might try to wake board at some point. Are you familiar with props at all? are there any better props available other than the factory aluminum one?

I Do like that. For now only thing ill being pulling is tubes ( mainly kids) might do some adult tubing adventures depending how much adult beverages are consumed. nobody i know skis. I and my buddy might try to wake board at some point. Are you familiar with props at all? are there any better props available other than the factory aluminum one?
Lots of misconceptions on who props the boat. The prop is not done by the Bennington or even the motor manufacturer. That is added on by the dealer that received the pontoon originally. If the owner had ordered it with a specific prop request, then that would have been part of the purchase agreement. Otherwise, it is whatever the boat dealership decided to toss on it when rigging it up and listing it for sale.

Under the forums tab scroll down to the ”Members Zone: Props and Power sub-forum. You should find some good threads there to get an idea if a better prop is out there for you Yammy 115. There are a few posts/threads about trying to find a good prop for a 115 Yamaha.

Member Zone: Props and Power

There is a “List Your Specs” thread. You can sift through there to look for a dual pontoon with the Yamaha 115HP motor you have. Another nice source to what people have put on their boats, and the performance they are getting. Just scroll through looking for anyone with 115HP motors.

List Your Specs

IMHO, anything less than 150 HP is not worth putting a SS prop on because you wont see the benefits. SS advantage is not flexing, but only really does it on the 150HP and up motors. So minimally, stick with aluminum for that 115Hp motor. There are a number of people in the forum with that combo, so some might see this and speak up - hopefully. One that caught my attention is:

FYI, here is the info on the warranty to help get you stared in that regard:

Bennington 10 Year Warranty Thread

Back