New log install? Opinions?

Mooneshine

Reaction score
Hey All.
I know no one likes to give opinions but,....

I have a new to me 2005 Bennington 2275fsi yamaha 115 that has some log damage and 3 sections that have small leaks. and they are very dirty/stained but not encrusted. Always sat on lift. (and where some of the minor damage came from). I plan on removing them to thoroughly clean inspect and hopefully repair.
If that fails I am also looking at full replacement. currently it has 22'6" x25" logs. I am curious if putting 23'6" logs would negatively affect anything?
And then the question of lifting strakes and upgrading to 27".

I am drumming for opinions. the cost DIFFERENCE to me is $300 for the length and $200 for strakes. 27" adds $50

New boat out of the question?

Definitely out of the question and very unnecessary I could just run it for years as is and be ok. I have a hard time with that. I have severe OCD :cool: . I am a big DIY'er for one and definitely have more time than money. I am into this quite cheap, even if I put new logs on I wont be much over 12K.
I do think I will be able to repair the logs I have but I can get new logs under 3500for the pair with strakes and 27". (not Bennington per se but there is no discernable difference) Not delivered but that is easy.
And it is Wisconsin so I have 6 months to fill up.
Also I know that this restored will bring me more projects from others so it is also advertising. I am self enjoyed and work out of my 1-2 man shop on all things...

One would think longer is better, but the toon probably needs support from the deck above so it doesn't fold in on itself (that last attachment point will be the fulcrum).

Also do the attachment points line up with the deck cross members with the longer toon? Sounds like a big project, hope it turns out well for ya!

One would think longer is better, but the toon probably needs support from the deck above so it doesn't fold in on itself (that last attachment point will be the fulcrum).

Also do the attachment points line up with the deck cross members with the longer toon? Sounds like a big project, hope it turns out well for ya!
Only a foot. I see lots of pontoons on the water with longer tube than deck, possibly older ones, I will have to pay closer attention to that.
Wonder if a person could kick them back a couple inches to lesson extension at front.
Mounting would be as I specify.
Lifting strakes? (IF a guy went that way)

I apparently want to talk myself into new but I will give it a strong evaluation on repair as 3K is a good jump start on a new boat fund...the repairs are minor, couple good scuffs that wont be hide-able but its not new. Biggest thing will be if they cleanup decent without acid as I dont like the white look and I am not going to polish logs to any degree.

Biggest thing will be if they cleanup decent without acid as I dont like the white look and I am not going to polish logs to any degree.

I acid wash my toons at the end of every season to remove the build up of gunk. Been doing it for probably 15 years on my last two boats. They only stay white for a few weeks. Then they magically (through oxidation) transform back to the normal aluminum color. I promise.

Well Crap!! there goes one excuse. Actually I appreciate that insight. Certainly would cut labor time which is a huge factor.
So you do not polish at all, just acid wash and walk away?

Oooh nice: I like your idea of going with 27" diameter logs. Have you asked if your fabricator/supplier can mimic the 32" twin ellipticals that Bennington offers:

twin-eliptical-performance-lg.jpg

So you do not polish at all, just acid wash and walk away?

Yes sir. Been using NAPA Aluminum Brightener Cleaner the last few seasons and it does a bang up job.

Before:
Winterize 2018.jpg

After:
Winterize 2018 9.jpg

Wow!

Back