New owner bought a boat with plugs. Argh.

Crispy

Reaction score
Our 2016 24 SSL has plugs in the stern of all three pontoons at the bottom. Never even registered in my mind since our ‘92 Funship has drain plugs. When I read here about Bennys not having plugs AND being compartmented, I almost passed out. After reading hours of posts, I’m getting over it and feel that in the next year I will get to the bottom of all this and also feel everything can be repaired. I carefully inspected the pontoons when on the trailer but had no idea about the plugs. One question I may still be able to ask the previous owner is why. Knowing what I do now, unless you knew you had leaks in all three pontoons aft, there would be no reason to do that. If you didn’t know the pontoons were chambered, maybe that’s a reason. Argh. We will be watching closely this summer, may even pull it out for a check but otherwise will enjoy our “new” boat and try not to stress. It’s otherwise in really good condition and we really like it. Actually looking forward to 1) talking to the seller and 2) pressure testing this Fall. Thanks for all the good info on this board. C.

The previous owner may be member of this forum also .

The leaks / bad welds on my toons were at the rear-most "M" brackets that attach at the top of the tube at the stern. The shop that fixed mine tested all chambers and it was only the rear and which is why he installed plugs at the back of the tubes. i Have it all documented when i goto sell it.

After about 10 yrs. my Bennington had a leak in the starboard toon. As part of the repair process the welder installed a threaded bung hole or plug in the bottom of the rear of the toon. In case of a future leak I would have a way to drain the water out instead of them drilling another hole. I was like ALL 3 toons should have these! I loved it! So until you find out why they have drain plugs on all 3 toons don't sweat it! Just be thankful that you have a way to drain water out if you need to......

Oh, that’s good news. Thanks for that info. I’m not stressing about it too much but I would weld bushings or bungs in if I were doing it. .100” isn’t the best scenario for tapping pipe threads. Fingers crossed. C.

Back