New Owner questions

RyanM

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I just purchased an 08 2575 RLi with the ESP and a 200hp Optimax. I was curious what I should be seeing for top speeds with this setup, I currently have a 4 blade 14 3/8 18p Apollo prop and see a top speed of 28MPH at about 5000~ RPM with 6 adults on the boat. Does this sound about right? I was thinking of trying something like a 3 blade 15x15, Thanks for the help.

It's slow to me too. Is the speed by GPS or the speedo. Boat speedos are not accurate. I also think that 18p prop and it being a 4 blade is too much for the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget to pull up the anchor? Kidding. But yeah, that sounds very slow.

I think the first clue to something being wrong is the engine rpms being below the range stated by the manufacturer. 5000 sounds low. You will have to look that up. That will certainly affect speed, but rpm is the first thing to look at, from what I've read. You want to get your engine rpm dialed into range coarsely first, then fine tune for speed or torque (whichever you want to maximize).

I agree with Carl's comments. New prop needed (assuming your engine runs smooth otherwise). I'm not sure the 4 blade is your problem, the pitch may be too much like Carl said. There are comments for and against 4 blade props. Mercury is touting the 4 blade Spit Fire as being the perfect for pontoon boats. If I was going to try a new prop (I will this season some time) it would be a Spit Fire. But, I have a much smaller motor, and so aluminum is sufficient for me. With your 200, you should talk more with Carl. For stainless, much of what I read points to the Enertia prop Carl has as being a top contender.

I have a 2013 RBR with a yamaha 150 and I'm getting top speed of 42 mph. 28 seems low

That was with a GPS the speedo read a bit faster, the max RPM for the motor is 5750 and I don't hit that unles I trim up but the speed drops as well. Carl you run a 15x15 enertia? is that 3 or 4 blade? that sounds more like the diameter/pitch I was thinking. I live up in NW Montana and have the boat on Flathead Lake one of the Marine shops here told me that you have to increase the pitch 2 points because of the elevation, anybody know the science behind that?

It's a 3 blade Enertia. They don't make a 4 blade Enertia.

Higher elevation = thin air = less motor output. I'm sure you know that as cars and anything with a gas motor is the same way. For comparison to what others are using at more normal elevations, you might be better off to pretend your 200 is a 150. Again, this points back to Carl's boat/motor/prop/setup... Pretty sure the Enertia is 3-blade. You might find a photo in Carl's gallery.

But, in your case, I would not think you would want to go 2 points up in pitch from 18 to 20...

I have the Enertia17 pitch and so far so good.

Hi everybody, I just purchased an 08 2575 RLi with the ESP and a 200hp Optimax. I was curious what I should be seeing for top speeds with this setup, I currently have a 4 blade 14 3/8 18p Apollo prop and see a top speed of 28MPH at about 5000~ RPM with 6 adults on the boat. Does this sound about right? I was thinking of trying something like a 3 blade 15x15, Thanks for the help.
I just ordered the 14.5 x 17P Enertia for my boat. Cannot WAIT for that baby to arrive this week.

For your boat I would go with the 14/75 x 16P Enertia.

The Enertia is a 3 blade prop. The only other one Propgods recommended for me was the 4 blade Revolution 4 but ultimately they suggested the Enertia over that one.

Enertia is a great toon prop. I run a 15x15 on my 150 pro xs and my cousin run a 17p with his 200 pro xs. You can also play with the pvs system if you want to get quicker out the hole. Those are the 3 plastic plugs in hub of the engine. Right now they are solid plugs but you can different diameter ones that let the prop spin up faster. There is a fine line between having too much of the plug open and you'll just spin up and not go anywhere.

Good luck with your new prop

Todd

Back