New Pontoon- need bumpers

Newtotoon

Reaction score
New grandma so bought my first pontoon for my two grandsons. Need to get them on the water as soon as possible. Bennington 2022 -22SX. Would like to know what the best bumpers are for pontoons? Love driving the Bennington. Much easier than my previous Hurricane.

Welcome to the forum Newtotoon!!! If you bought it new didn't your dealer give you any bumpers, dock lines, orange life vests, or an anchor to get you started?!? If they didn't go to Walmart, Sam's Club, West Marine, wherever they sell marine accessories and buy some 6.5" x 22" bumpers. 2 or 3 per side depending on your dock set up. Don't forget to buy 3/8" line to go with it!

Fender are mounted on your boat. Bumpers are mounted on your
dock. :cool:

Thank you!⚓

Last edited:
Thank you for the education. I know the fenders attach with a clip on the rail but how are they stabilized below?

Welcome to the forum!

We have a 22SX; here are some of the fenders and lines we are using.

4.5" Fenders - We have 4 of these and the work great. They provide just enough cushion between us and the dock or other boats. You may need larger, depending on your docking situation. I think BigKahuna called out 6.5" fenders above.

"Pontoon fenders" - I just spent some time this weekend installing a few of these. Placement can be tricky if you want a clean look, but they can be hung from a rail above, strapped to the side of the pontoon, or both. Mine are placed on the port side and I could only install 2 that would actually serve their purpose. The 22SX model seems to have an upward rake, so the fenders near the bow don't quite meet the level line of our dock.

Rail Fender Hangers - These are a must have, I think. It's good to have at least 8 on your boat. The will hold work for both types of fenders mentioned above, plus many other uses! I suggest sticking to this brand as others seem to bend or get brittle over time.

15' Dock line - There are many brands, diameters, & lengths of dock line available but these have proven themselves for 4 years in freshwater. No frays, fades, cuts, or stretching.

Thank you for the education. I know the fenders attach with a clip on the rail but how are they stabilized below?
They aren’t. They sway to and fro unless you get the kind that are secured to your boat by being tucked in between your log and the bottom of your deck.

Back