New To The Site

Badger

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I just joined your site. Recently bought a "new to me" Bennington. It's a 2006 185 gl. Very much looking forward to getting it ready and in the water in Northeast PA. No good photos yet. It's still in storage. We have owned other boats but this is our first Bennington. Looking forward to learning and enjoying.

Welcome to  the forum.  I have followed many forums but this one is hands above all the rest.  There are very knowledgeable people on this forum eagerly awaiting any and all your questions.  You are going to have a great summer on your Bennie.

Welcome to the party Badger.

You made a great decision Badger! Just be ready for what is called PADS around this forum. Welcome to the group.

Welcome Aboard

Welcome to the madness. If you have money, count on this group to help you, and encourage you to spend it! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Aboard !  PICS PICS PICS .... they are mandatory ...  :D  You can't post without proof ...... JUST KIDDING!  :lol:

Where will you boat at?

Thank you everyone!

1Blderbob - Ok, I'll bite. What's PADS?

Semperfi8387 - SEMPER FI sir!! I will post pics as soon as I can. The previous owner had the boat in indoor storage and it is still there. I have not been able to get any decent photos yet. I will post as soon as I get some once I bring it home.

We are fortunate to live in a lake community and we will have the boat in the water here. It is called Lake Hauto. It is between Jim Thorpe and Tamaqua.

Actually,just insert PADS in the search box on the home page. But beware, you'll have some reading ahead. :eek: :p

Thank you everyone!

Semperfi8387 - SEMPER FI sir!! I will post pics as soon as I can. The previous owner had the boat in indoor storage and it is still there. I have not been able to get any decent photos yet. I will post as soon as I get some once I bring it home.

We are fortunate to live in a lake community and we will have the boat in the water here. It is called Lake Hauto. It is between Jim Thorpe and Tamaqua.

Thank you everyone!

Short answer "Pull A Derrick Syndrome". BulldogsCadillac (Derrick) bought (I think) three boats in a 2 year period upgrading each time. Disease applies here to anyone buying multiple replacement boats or contemplating doing so - in a short period of time.  There have been quite a few on the site. 

So its been a little over a year since I first posted. Mostly due to a busy life. For anyone that cares here is a brief update.

Last year we got the boat cleaned up and started. However it was running pretty rough. It has a 75 hp Honda 4 stroke. Did my research and figured out that these motors have carburetor issues with old fuel. Since the boat was sitting for a number of years I decided to take it to the original dealer in the Lehigh Valley. They rebuilt the carbs 3 times but "couldn't get them just right". By the way, the dealer is an authorized Honda dealer but is no longer a Bennington dealer. Anyway, brought the boat home and put it in the water. It runs pretty good for the most part. Has some trouble at idle especially after a restart. So I have been running fuel cleaners, at the dealers suggestion, to try and finish cleaning out the carbs. If that doesn't run well this year I will be taking it back for new carbs.

I had reached out to Bennington to see what, if anything is offered in the way of warranties for the boat. I have found that if you buy the boat new the warranty is great. Not so much for the second generation user though. I also tried to get a build sheet to see exactly what the boat had originally. No luck there either. I get it, it's used. Not a big deal but I was hopeful.

The good news is that I am told we really got the boat for a really, realy great price. Hardly any use on it. The hour meter was showing only 13 hours when I turned the key the first time last year. The boat was stored inside for it entire life. So it is in really good condition. All in all we are pretty happy with it. I will be asking some questions here as I have found a few things since being in, around and under the boat looking it over and seeing what things, if any, I can add to it.

I will take some pictures and post them soon. I remember, that is a "requirement" on this site!

Even if the warranty had been the new 10 year warranty, and transferable, you'd still have been DDOL, since it's 12 years old. Glad to see you back, though. We're still waiting for those pics! ;)

Plus the 2006 model year would have had a 3 or maybe 5 year warranty. My 2014 only has the 7 year warranty. I just bumped up to 10 years on the 2017's I think.

Hi Badger! Where are you boating the the NE? I’m about 30 minutes south of the Lehigh Valley.

ADK, I grew up just outside Philadelphia. For the past 26 years I have lived in a community named Lake Hauto. I see you are in Tylersport.

I’m dead center between Quakertown and Lansdale on the turnpike. We boat a lot at Beltzville. I was visiting your neck of the woods not too long ago building our new KME squad in Nesquehoning. If you’re going to be out in Beltzville at all we’ll have to meet up!

I am familiar with you home town. One of the original owners of KME was the original owner of the boat I have now.

I think it would be fun to meet up but I have to be honest. We live at a lake and have a boat slip. I doubt we would load it up and take it somewhere else for a day. But you never know. Its good to know. We can stay in touch and see what happens.

Back