No power to engine.

The Bus Man

Reaction score
I left the key on, all went dead. I jumped the dead battery to another one and then I put a charger on the batteries. The charger was beeping and had the error that said the battery had reverse polarity, what? I tied butting black to red and red to black and it started to charge. I disconnected the dead battery and replaced it with a new battery. Now I have no power to the motor. It will not turn over, the trim will not work, nothing. Should I reverse the polarity and try again, that doesn't sound right. Any suggestions?

A totally dead battery no longer has polarity, so if the jumper cables are connected incorrectly, the neg becomes pos and vice versa. It sure sounds like this is what happened.
This can be fixed by totally draining the battery again and charging with the correct polarity.

Another note...many battery chargers will not charge a totally dead battery. On board chargers are notorious for this.

Last edited:
I left the key on, all went dead. I jumped the dead battery to another one and then I put a charger on the batteries. The charger was beeping and had the error that said the battery had reverse polarity, what? I tied butting black to red and red to black and it started to charge. I disconnected the dead battery and replaced it with a new battery. Now I have no power to the motor. It will not turn over, the trim will not work, nothing. Should I reverse the polarity and try again, that doesn't sound right. Any suggestions?
Go thru your fuses before reconnecting the good battery. Start with the engine fuse under the cowling usually next to the spare. Then check any inline fuses from the battery and lastly the dashboard fuses/breakers. Take your time and good luck

Go thru your fuses before reconnecting the good battery. Start with the engine fuse under the cowling usually next to the spare. Then check any inline fuses from the battery and lastly the dashboard fuses/breakers. Take your time and good luck
Thanks so much. I found the blown fuse under the cowling, replaced it and put a new battery on and all works great! Thanks again.

A totally deal battery no longer has polarity, so if the jumper cables are connected incorrectly, the neg becomes pos and vice versa. It sure sounds like this is what happened.
This can be fixed by totally draining the battery again and charging with the correct polarity.

Another note...many battery chargers will not charge a totally dead battery. On board chargers are notorious for this.
Thanks for the information, that is what I must have done. I found the blown fuse under the cowling and everything is working again.

For all of us electrically challenged folks out there, can you please explain how you can tell if a fuse is blown or not? Must you check with a multimeter, or can you tell visually just by looking at it? Do you have a picture of the fuse? Just curious. Thanks

Glad you got it figured out!

Glad it solved the problem⚓

For all of us electrically challenged folks out there, can you please explain how you can tell if a fuse is blown or not? Must you check with a multimeter, or can you tell visually just by looking at it? Do you have a picture of the fuse? Just curious. Thanks

Glad you got it figured out!
Just pull the fuse and look at it. It has a wire inside, if the wire is broken or burnt, it is bad. If the wire is intact, the fuse is likely good.

Just pull the fuse and look at it. It has a wire inside, if the wire is broken or burnt, it is bad. If the wire is intact, the fuse is likely good.
Glad yours was easy to see it was obviously blown. Just be advised sometimes the fuse can look good to the naked eye but can still be bad. To truly rule out a fuse as a cause of an issue, you should test it. A digital volt/ohmmeter set to the ohm's reading can do that super easily. Even the $10 ones from Harbor Freight will do it.

Back