Noise in pontoon

Mpucunas

Reaction score
Went out early one morning lake was calm and quiet as we floated we could here what sounded like water dripping into a tube when the boat rocked. Sounded like a small amount of water being poured into a empty tube. We heard this for a a few min. Then seemed to stop. We were out the rest of the day and did not here again. boat seems to be sitting the same and handling ok very strange. Anyone had this issue the only other thing I thought of later was maybe some water going down the drain holes in the seat boxes. my boat is a 2019 tri toon I am going to check and see if there are any plugs on top of tubes to put a hose in and check or may have to pull it out and try to shake it. Any input would be great. Thank you

Went out early one morning lake was calm and quiet as we floated we could here what sounded like water dripping into a tube when the boat rocked. Sounded like a small amount of water being poured into a empty tube. We heard this for a a few min. Then seemed to stop. We were out the rest of the day and did not here again. boat seems to be sitting the same and handling ok very strange. Anyone had this issue the only other thing I thought of later was maybe some water going down the drain holes in the seat boxes. my boat is a 2019 tri toon I am going to check and see if there are any plugs on top of tubes to put a hose in and check or may have to pull it out and try to shake it. Any input would be great. Thank you
Welcome to the forum! If you have a trailer you can easily check if you have water in one of your tubes. Put it on the trailer and shake it like you said or have somebody drive it for a few feet and abruptly apply the brake. If you have any significant amount of water in any of them you'll be able to tell! Had our previous boat for 12 seasons. I noticed it was listing to the starboard side. Took it out and heard the sloshing on the trailer. Took it to a tig welder and and he drilled a hole drained the water out and installed a threaded bung hole. The one thing he never found was how the water got in in the first place!

The noise I get after coming off plane is air that gets trapped in the lifting strakes bubbles out for a few minutes. Doesn't sound like your issue but something to consider - is the noise random or after driving around? Is it coming from underneath in the toons or around the top deck?

If water is getting into your toons you will know in a hurry, performance (i.e. top speed and fuel efficiency) will drop and perhaps even the boat will list a little to the flooded side. Dealer should be involved at that point for a warranty claim.

Good luck!

We have a 2021 LX24 and have heard the same "noise" you describe. Typically it is heard as we are raising the boat on the lift in our dock, I have determined it is water / air sloshing in the lifting strakes. Since they are not sealed water gets in the strakes and with a large port at the rear of the strakes, water rushes back and forth when the boat changes attitude relative to the water line, as in slowing suddenly or raising on the lift. If you have lifting strakes on the tritoon good bet that is where the noise is.

The noise I get after coming off plane is air that gets trapped in the lifting strakes bubbles out for a few minutes. Doesn't sound like your issue but something to consider - is the noise random or after driving around? Is it coming from underneath in the toons or around the top deck?

If water is getting into your toons you will know in a hurry, performance (i.e. top speed and fuel efficiency) will drop and perhaps even the boat will list a little to the flooded side. Dealer should be involved at that point for a warranty claim.

Good luck!
The same thing happened with our 1st boat. We would cruise to where we were hanging out and anchor. Then a few minutes later we would see bubbles coming from underneath. Thought we had a leak. Drove us nuts until we figured out where it was coming from...... The lifting strakes.

Welcome to the forum! If you have a trailer you can easily check if you have water in one of your tubes. Put it on the trailer and shake it like you said or have somebody drive it for a few feet and abruptly apply the brake. If you have any significant amount of water in any of them you'll be able to tell! Had our previous boat for 12 seasons. I noticed it was listing to the starboard side. Took it out and heard the sloshing on the trailer. Took it to a tig welder and and he drilled a hole drained the water out and installed a threaded bung hole. The one thing he never found was how the water got in in the first place!
Thank you for the info that was the direction we were heading

The same thing happened with our 1st boat. We would cruise to where we were hanging out and anchor. Then a few minutes later we would see bubbles coming from underneath. Thought we had a leak. Drove us nuts until we figured out where it was coming from...... The lifting strakes.
Seems to be what others have found. it kind of freaked us out as we had a issue with a weld a couple years ago just a couple weeks after we got it our marina manager called and said boat was listed to on side pulled it out and one tube was full dealer fixed it and no further problems but when I heard that I worried. But did not happen again so fingers crossed.

Thank you for the info we will see what happens this weekend.

We have a 2021 LX24 and have heard the same "noise" you describe. Typically it is heard as we are raising the boat on the lift in our dock, I have determined it is water / air sloshing in the lifting strakes. Since they are not sealed water gets in the strakes and with a large port at the rear of the strakes, water rushes back and forth when the boat changes attitude relative to the water line, as in slowing suddenly or raising on the lift. If you have lifting strakes on the tritoon good bet that is where the noise is.
We do have the stakes will check that out thank you

I was going to suggest the water and air trapped in the strakes

Back