Non Saltwater 2014 20SLX coming from freshwater, what to watch out for

cpcook22

Reaction score
Newbie question: Looking to purchase a Non-Saltwater 2014 20SLX coming from freshwater and going to an in water slip saltwater environment. Besides bottom painting what else is suggested to check for as well as what other things I should have done if any? Been reading about sacrificial anodes, anything on this topic would be great. Anything on the Yamaha 70HP engine? Looking forward to becoming a Club Bennington member. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m assuming based on hp it’s a two toon boat? Reason I asked is if there are lifting strakes they should be sealed in a salt water environment.

If it's going to be in saltwater make sure it has "zinc" sacrificial anodes to protect your hull and outboard engine. .....

That sounds like a great boat that your buying! I have the 2014 20 SFX with the 70 Yamaha. With the 70 on the 2 pontoon boat, don’t expect it to set any speed records. I can get 17 mph at WOT with a following tide, that is wide open, hitting the rev limiter. I might be able to change the prop and get a little more speed out of it, but I don’t need any more speed. You will need to add the sacrificial anodes to both boat and motor. There are several. The saltwater series boats have a box attached to the back of each pontoon, each of them has a sacrificial anode attached. I think the freshwater only has one. That’s really the only differences I have seen between them. (Beside the Saltwater Series sticker).

Back