Oil Change for New Engines

ErinnDan

Reaction score
When should I be having my first oil change on my brand new Yamaha 70 HP 4 Stroke engine?

I was told by my dealer that I would only need 1 per season, but I have over 50 hours on the engine already, on pace for over 100 hours for the season. Any thoughts?

First oil change, Manual says after the first 20 hours. Had mine done at 30.

Yup, 20 hours is the normal, it's just a good opportunity to check the oil and ensure there aren't any filings or bad stuff in the oil after your initial break in.

Or water in the oil, like the 50hp had.

Why would my dealer/marina not tell me to come in after 20 hours for a simple oil change?

I specifically asked about oil changes.

Couldn't tell you. Maybe they thought they were doing you a favor and saving you money. If it was a matter of like me, I only put 25.8 hours on my last boat, but I still did my oil at about 21. I guess I should have just winterized it then and saved myself some cash, but we had hoped for some nice weather late in the season. It didn't happen.

My dealer said the same that I only had to do it once a year. Now that I have a trailer and 25 hours on the boat, I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

I was told 20 hours for Mercury fourstroke, and told it was better to be on the early side of that (as in 10-20 hours).

Will be headed to the marina Friday morning for an oil change I hope. But I'm not too happy, my dealer is on the lake where I keep my boat and this could have been easily avoided.

Yamaha has an App for the iPhone. You can put in all your motor info and select the dealers in your area that you may use for service.

The maintainence schedule chart is then provided. All this info is then available at anytime with a few clicks on your iPhone.

The schedule shows first service 20 hours, following service 100 hours or once per year. At 200 hour intervals the service requirements are more extensive than at the 100 hour intervals.

For those without an iPhone the info is available on Yamaha web site to download or in the owner manual.

I have ours done once a year in the fall.

Had mine done at 20.8 hrs, they also change the Lower unit oil, And adjust the throttle cables. This is what Yamaha Recommends be done at 20 hours

Has anyone done it their self? I was thinking about buying one of the pumps that suck the oil out of the dipstick hole because I don't want to take my boat off the lake.

Getting the oil out is the easy part. The oil filter is tough to not spill oil. Those pumps do work well though. Used them when I worked for mercedes.

Changed mine at 20 then at 50 it decided to throw up all over its self, so I guess mine has auto oil changing?

Something else to keep in mind is the time issue. Our manual for the 90 hp is the first change is 20 hrs OR 3 months. I changed oil at 14 hrs since I had come upon the 3 months. Something else I did that is not in the manual is changing out the oil filter also. The filter change is not listed in the manual but I am not changing out the break-in oil without changing out the filter. From now on I think I will be changing the oil every 9 months as I don't expect to see 100 hrs annually, yet. Especially with all the rain we have been having on the week ends!

Same with me Harmony, we just change the oil once every year

The Merc dealer changed my filter at the 20 hour service. At least I paid for one (it was listed on the receipt). It's cheap enough, and could be full of metal shavings from breakin.

I change oil annually too. But, I did talk with the Mercury factory when I first got the boat and that particular guy recommended chaning the oil in the spring AFTER the winter storage period. His reasoning was moisture could get in over the winter, so it was better to change the oil before it is started in the spring. I had not heard that said before...

Back