Ok if it rains,,,

iToon

Reaction score
I thought the toon could take a little rain but I guess not. We had a rain shower tonight on the way home so I left the toon uncovered so it could dry out in the morning but I went out to check on things a few minutes ago and I found my radio on!

I thought at first I must have left it on when I got out of the water but when I got aboard I found the aux switch in the off position. I fumbled around and found my carry air tank and tried to blow off the water. It seems it wasn't in the switch but water behind it. I don't think the panel itself can hold out water at it leaked to the back side of the panel soaking everything. I'm gonna investigate and see if there's a way to seal it and keep this from happening again. I thought there would have already been a seal but I just didnt realize this was so fragile an area. I've covered the console for the night and hope it doesnt rain til I can put on the cover when it dries out tomorrow.

Is your radio in the dash or under the helm? Mine is under the helm with a pod in the dash for operation. Just curious as to which you have in comparison to mine.

As a side note, I am sure you are aware there is an aftermarket radio cover out there. Don't know how hard it would be to install, but if you have any handiman in you, it shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck in working through this problem.

oh it wasnt the radio, it was the switch itself behind the panel. the whole of the backside of the panel itself was soaked and dripping wet, and this from a small rain not a driving hard rain, just rain. Im going to see if I can figure out a way to either cut a rubber seal out to the shape of the opening and put it in or seal it, I hate to seal it because that requires gluing it and I would rather have a seal or gasket before I resort to that.

Wait...

I don't suppose the drain tube popped off the bottom of one of your cup-holders, did it?

No, I got a good look while laying under the console. They did put some kind of putty seal on the steering box to it's mount but there's nothing I can see to seal the dash panel to the console, so when it gets water on it, the water flows right around into the back and inside the console.

I thought the toon could take a little rain but I guess not. We had a rain shower tonight on the way home so I left the toon uncovered so it could dry out in the morning but I went out to check on things a few minutes ago and I found my radio on!

I thought at first I must have left it on when I got out of the water but when I got aboard I found the aux switch in the off position. I fumbled around and found my carry air tank and tried to blow off the water. It seems it wasn't in the switch but water behind it. I don't think the panel itself can hold out water at it leaked to the back side of the panel soaking everything. I'm gonna investigate and see if there's a way to seal it and keep this from happening again. I thought there would have already been a seal but I just didnt realize this was so fragile an area. I've covered the console for the night and hope it doesnt rain til I can put on the cover when it dries out tomorrow.
Sorry this took so long to reply to...our engineering team thinks it may be a bad switch and perhaps nothing to do with the rain! Your dealer can get you a new one under warranty. Thanks, TB

Its not a faulty switch, I blew compresses air all around the outside of the switch to no avail, as I stated before I saw WATER DROPS on the back side of the entire panel! when I used compressed air and blew off the water the problem instantly went away. the problem is quite simple, when it rains the water goes right around the dash panel into the underside of the panel itself, I can see there is now seal between the panel and the housing, in comparison, the steering wheel has lots of seal around its mount.

Its not a faulty switch, I blew compresses air all around the outside of the switch to no avail, as I stated before I saw WATER DROPS on the back side of the entire panel! when I used compressed air and blew off the water the problem instantly went away. the problem is quite simple, when it rains the water goes right around the dash panel into the underside of the panel itself, I can see there is now seal between the panel and the housing, in comparison, the steering wheel has lots of seal around its mount.
Ok, we can take care of that under warranty. We'll pass the info back to the proper area on the line. Thanks and sorry for your trouble. TB

Hi again,

Consoles in general are not sealed, so anywhere a cut-out is made (switches, gauges, panels, etc) rain could potentially seep through. We undercut certain areas of the console base for ventilation. The boat is fused to protect components and wiring from being overloaded even if water shorts something out. Covering the console with a simple console cover, using the recommended factory playpen cover or adding a battery switch at the stern to shut off all power are good ideas.

Again, we will cover your switch repair under warranty if that's the trouble! Thanks, TB

Back