Opinion Requested - Is this a big deal?

dclboater

Reaction score
Relatively new member- you may know me from my initial post (First Time Owner - 24LX) and my more recent question on gauges (Digital Vee Three Gauges).

In my gauges post, I mentioned that the dealer was saying the gauges were difficult to set up. It turns out the reason he wasn't able to get everything working is the factory sent the boat without the wire that connects from the motor to the gauges. So, he was getting fuel level, voltage, speed, but couldn't get engine data. Aside from the fact that this has taken several days and Bennington has not yet been able to find the right wire to send, I found out today that they will need to remove one of the aluminum plates on the bottom (it has ESP) so that they can run the wire.

Would you be concerned with the service dept removing the aluminum under deck to do this work? The wiring piece seems pretty much plug and play, but having to drill out and reinstall rivets has me slightly concerned given it is a brand new boat that hasn't even been delivered yet. They indicated it is not a difficult or overly time consuming job and that I would not even be able to tell it was done once they are finished.

Appreciate the input.

Relatively new member- you may know me from my initial post (First Time Owner - 24LX) and my more recent question on gauges (Digital Vee Three Gauges).

In my gauges post, I mentioned that the dealer was saying the gauges were difficult to set up. It turns out the reason he wasn't able to get everything working is the factory sent the boat without the wire that connects from the motor to the gauges. So, he was getting fuel level, voltage, speed, but couldn't get engine data. Aside from the fact that this has taken several days and Bennington has not yet been able to find the right wire to send, I found out today that they will need to remove one of the aluminum plates on the bottom (it has ESP) so that they can run the wire.

Would you be concerned with the service dept removing the aluminum under deck to do this work? The wiring piece seems pretty much plug and play, but having to drill out and reinstall rivets has me slightly concerned given it is a brand new boat that hasn't even been delivered yet. They indicated it is not a difficult or overly time consuming job and that I would not even be able to tell it was done once they are finished.

Appreciate the input.
I wouldn't be concerned in 99 out of 100 cases. I just don't know your dealer.

On one of my previous boats my dealer ran new wire for a Garmin. They used a fish tape .

I have had the dealer remove the wave shield (which is I assume your talking about) for warranty work. and my actual boat mechanic to run new wires for transducers etc. Its easy to drill out the rivets and put new ones in again
No big deal.

On one of my previous boats my dealer ran new wire for a Garmin. They used a fish tape .
This is a good suggestion - I'll mention it to the dealer in case that could be an option.

I have had the dealer remove the wave shield (which is I assume your talking about) for warranty work. and my actual boat mechanic to run new wires for transducers etc. Its easy to drill out the rivets and put new ones in again
No big deal.
Appreciate that feedback - this also makes me feel better about the issue!

My boat has been down for the past 11+ months for major insurance work repairs on the entire electrical system. They had to remove my entire wave shield (under-skirting). They assured me it is no big deal. I am not really worried about it.

Technically I inspect the boat this upcoming Thursday and it is scheduled for delivery the next day on Friday after losing it for an entire year (mainly replacement parts issues). If I notice anything of concern I will update, but otherwise assume my reinstalled wave shield looked good as new (just as they said it would).

I would not be concerned about removing and replacing under deck sheeting. That can be done successfully however removing under deck sheeting is not a requirement for the repair. The engine to gage wiring is above deck. It’s connection to the engine harness can be found in the vicinity of the key switch. That spot is a tough spot to service. Squeeze into the console and you can see for yourself the small size of the space in that corner. When I added this wiring for simple gages to my boat I had to remove the fence. Your dealer might know a better way but probably not considering they where talking about removing under deck sheeting.

My boat has been down for the past 11+ months for major insurance work repairs on the entire electrical system. They had to remove my entire wave shield (under-skirting). They assured me it is no big deal. I am not really worried about it.

Technically I inspect the boat this upcoming Thursday and it is scheduled for delivery the next day on Friday after losing it for an entire year (mainly replacement parts issues). If I notice anything of concern I will update, but otherwise assume my reinstalled wave shield looked good as new (just as they said it would).
That's a good point. I did read through your story and really hope your inspection goes smoothly this Thursday! You've certainly been through a long enough wait that you deserve a good start to (and full) season this year!

I would not be concerned about removing and replacing under deck sheeting. That can be done successfully however removing under deck sheeting is not a requirement for the repair. The engine to gage wiring is above deck. It’s connection to the engine harness can be found in the vicinity of the key switch. That spot is a tough spot to service. Squeeze into the console and you can see for yourself the small size of the space in that corner. When I added this wiring for simple gages to my boat I had to remove the fence. Your dealer might know a better way but probably not considering they where talking about removing under deck sheeting.
Interesting - I'll ask the dealer and service manager about this.

Thanks all for the input!

Back