Painting my pontoon.

lukebeegle

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to try a DIY boat painting project.  Does anyone have any advice on how to prep and paint my pontoon.  The sides are aluminum.  Basically it's an off white color now with no decals.  They have all been peeled off.  I would appreciate any advice or tips. 

Thanks,  Luke

Unless you are very good I would consider having an Auto Body shop give you a quote as they would do a much better spray and would protect it with clear quote.  There have been some posts on here about companies that will wrap it as well, use the search engine and see what you can find.

Also consider opening up the box labeled PADS

I'd look into a wrap instead of painting it.

Well, its probably oxidized, so youll have to clean that, any decal residue, any dings and dents need fixed or will you paint over them?  If you want a good finish you need a good start.  You painting frame and panels the same color?  If not separate them and paint apart.  Sand it, clean it, prime it, paint it.  You going to set up a booth or just sit outside, in the barn?  Long process if you want good results.  I'd talk to a supply house or a body tech and get some more info, Good luck with it.

Thanks for the input.  I am probably going to check out having it wrapped also before getting into the painting. 

Dip products are a joke in my opinion. The way I see dip products they are for people that want a new color every other week or somthing Very non permanent. They can take ZERO abuse. You bump or rub up against them with any frequency and the products come off. 

Depending on what your going to paint. 

Example I would advise not painting the rails. Just painting the Aluminum sides. 

I would recommend a wrap. If your a first time painter I can almost bet a professional wrap is going to come out a lot better then a paint job. (Unless your name is Earl Shibe) :)  

I would guess a customs wrap is gonna be 2k-3k 

but if your hard set on painting check back I can give you some products to check out. 

MRG  Thanks for the info.  I actually am checking into wraps at the moment. Although I am thinking of doing that myself also....  If I decide to go with painting I will check back for tips!!  Thanks!

How about a DIY solid color wrap?  You were going to paint it, I assume a solid color. Maybe you can get plain solid colored wrap cheap enough to DIY....

@kaydano  I would consider it..  Yes the paint was going to be a solid color, then I was going to put decals on it.  Would prefer a custom wrap, but would consider a solid color.  I am trying to get prices. 

I will probably have the fence re-painted in the spring.  Have them re-paint my fence the same color, then have custom designed a wrap that will go over the top of it.  Wrap should come in at less than $2,000.  I don't think the paint job will be a big deal, but honestly haven't priced it yet.

One thing I will definitely be doing when I repaint will be to go with the domed numbers and letters for the boat.  I got some quotes from the company and they will also do the actual Bennington logos and matching numbers in any color you desire.  They did my registration numbers that I have on the boat now and they are really great looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a link to another thread where we were talking about painting/wrapping the fence:

Back