Please Help! - 115 prop

jlsusa

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your recommendations

I'm new to Bennington and boat owning in general for that matter.  I have a 2275GFS with a 115 Yamaha and express tube with strakes.  I also have the added weight of Sea Legs.    I love the boat, but the top speed is really getting me down.  I went with the 115 vs 150 based on the manufacturing rep at the boat show telling me that I would get 30MPH.  Today, with myself and a few kids we hit 21 wide open by GPS.   

The current prop is a 13.5 x 12p  aluminum prop that was installed by the dealer.    At WOT I am hitting 5600RPM.   

We are a young family that enjoys using the boat for tubing and skiing.  All three kids,  all <100lbs, pop out of the water.  There is no problem with hole shot.   The boat is suiting our current needs just fine.  It is just a little depressing to have a $40K boat run full throttle at 20mph and then get the "thumbs up speed up" sign from my 8 yr old daughter to go faster while she skis.  

I've tried to educate myself on props.  I've read the performance bulletins, but of course I can't find the "exact" one for me.  About the only thing that I can tell is that every pontoon with a 115 has a higher top speed.  Could the Sea legs really be holding me back that much?   I suspect I need more pitch, but how many MPH can I realistically expect?

I know the 150 would have been a better choice, but it's too late.  Any prop recommendations for my needs would be greatly appreciated. 

I think you should try a 14 x 11p prop to get the rpms up at WOT.  I also think with sealegs and no underskin that is also holding you back. We have a 2275rl 3 tube with a 150 and it'll go 40 mph.

I have a boat a hair smaller than yours. I'm current running a 14x13 but would prefer to have the 12 or maybe even 11 pitch. I can hit 30 pretty easy with mine when I'm by myself. 4 adults and two kids I can still do 27. My guess is that the sea legs are creating a ton of drag on your boat. Between that and the G being a heavier boat, I could see you getting a 2-4 more mph, but not much more than that. Go with the yamaha pontoon performance stainless steel 14x10 or 14x9. The stock aluminum my dealer installed was a yamaha 13 5/8 x 13 and I couldn't go half throttle before I was hitting redline. I switched to a 14x13 and now I struggle to hit 5800.

Thanks for the information guys.  I'm glad I asked for help as I would have likely gone for more pitch rather than less as two of you are suggesting.   It makes sense to me now.  I need to hit a higher RPM at WOT!  Is if fair to say that I want to max out at 6000 RPM with this motor?

Try a spitfire prop. It made my 115 noticeably better for tubing (but knocked my top speed down a little). I was impressed and it was a big lesson for me that torque is more important than top speed for tubing performance. I still upgraded to a 150 (wife gave a rare green light and I had a new motor in about two days). But you should try one of the pontoon series spitfires. Worse case, you have a spare prop or sell one on eBay. I think the one I bought was a 15x15.

Back