Please help

EndlessSummer

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I’m new to the forum and could use insight and any advice available. I bought a new 2019 22 ssbxp from a dealer in mid Michigan back in May 2020. Boat was delivered and we absolutely had a blast with it this summer. The boat was dockside in the water until the end of October. No power to my dock. No boats around, nothing. I live on a fresh water lake approximately 160 acres. I pulled her out for the winter and was confused/devastated at what I saw. My toons are pitting and appear to be corroding! I am sick to my stomach looking at my new boat. I cleaned to toons with soap and water, not acid. I’ve been researching this and it appears to have electrolysis damage. Nothing aftermarket except a depth finder installed by the dealer. I phoned my dealer and sent them pics but they seem to be ignoring me. The whole reason we chose Bennington was because of the raving reviews about owners who claim the warranty is second to none. The boat is pitting so bad that I’m fearing the toons will be leaking in a year or two. The dealer states they’ve never heard of this before. So my question is, has anyone had experience with this stuff? The pics do no justice. My toons are trashed and I’m at a loss for words. Thanks in advance everyone!

Attachments

• 1AB905E4-47D4-4185-8D9B-A684124810E2.jpeg
    1AB905E4-47D4-4185-8D9B-A684124810E2.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 3E2CD934-4945-4DBA-8CC5-134DF691527B.jpeg
    3E2CD934-4945-4DBA-8CC5-134DF691527B.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 3263660E-9FCE-40ED-8632-8AA7C4E3824E.jpeg
    3263660E-9FCE-40ED-8632-8AA7C4E3824E.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 0EC9CCDD-3E4D-43BD-A5D9-48944F7BC77F.jpeg
    0EC9CCDD-3E4D-43BD-A5D9-48944F7BC77F.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 4960787F-7D86-42C2-8E92-F8234D97525E.jpeg
    4960787F-7D86-42C2-8E92-F8234D97525E.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 8327B142-B007-436E-B7D1-C914E8FF7F35.jpeg
    8327B142-B007-436E-B7D1-C914E8FF7F35.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 58EC7463-9E09-49F4-995C-09120C43D662.jpeg
    58EC7463-9E09-49F4-995C-09120C43D662.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 81
I’d be checking for stray voltage where your boats docked. You may “think” there’s none, but looks like there is to me, and sorry, that is not covered under their (or any other brands) warranty.
Is there a neighbors dock close by? Any landscape lighting nearby? Aerators?

I own approximately 230 feet of shoreline. My boat is in the middle of it. My closest neighbor has a manual lift. No power to their dock. I have no power near the shoreline. No aerators, nothing. I've checked with the neighbors and none of them have this kind of damage to their toons expect for mine. Dealer said it can be faulty wiring on my boat? Bad ground??

I agree with Dave ,stray voltage . If the dealer said it could be faulty wiring on your boat ,are the going to check it out ?

The dealer I purchased the boat through ironically says they are “too busy” to look at it because they are winterizing/dealing with over 1,000 boats. I’ve contacted Bennington directly and they said call the dealer. I’m going to speak with a different Bennington dealer and see how this goes. Prior to this boat, I had a 2010 sweet water with zero issues and same setup at my dock. I’m beyond frustrated to say the least.

The dealer I purchased the boat through ironically says they are “too busy” to look at it because they are winterizing/dealing with over 1,000 boats. I’ve contacted Bennington directly and they said call the dealer. I’m going to speak with a different Bennington dealer and see how this goes. Prior to this boat, I had a 2010 sweet water with zero issues and same setup at my dock. I’m beyond frustrated to say the least.

Might be a long-shot but here is a possibility: https://www.ecmweb.com/power-qualit.../20898273/the-case-of-stray-voltage-in-a-lake

Goodness, that makes my stomach turn. I cannot imagine being in your shoes. My heart goes out to you on this one. Just an horrible situation all the way around. Best wishes on being able to find the source of the likely eleectrolysis, correcting it, and then being able to somehow get those pontoons presumably replaced. My guess is you’ll end up having to go insurance claim vs. warranty on something like that.

Well so much for the "sacrificial" anodes doing their job right?!?

That article above is exactly what I was wondering. Are there “unknown” power sources running underground that’s no ones aware of. You might contact your local utility company or borough engineer just out of caution. Last thing you (or someone else) need, is to jump in the water and find it the hard way.

Goodness, that makes my stomach turn. I cannot imagine being in your shoes. My heart goes out to you on this one. Just an horrible situation all the way around. Best wishes on being able to find the source of the likely eleectrolysis, correcting it, and then being able to somehow get those pontoons presumably replaced. My guess is you’ll end up having to go insurance claim vs. warranty on something like that.
Hey thanks! I was thinking if there is no warranty coverage on this then I will have to make an insurance claim. My old boat had no issues and I owned it for 5 years. Really hoping the dealer can get to the bottom of it.

That article above is exactly what I was wondering. Are there “unknown” power sources running underground that’s no ones aware of. You might contact your local utility company or borough engineer just out of caution. Last thing you (or someone else) need, is to jump in the water and find it the hard way.
Great idea. All power lines are on poles. But I will still reach out to them.

That's another good question......Do you guys swim off your dock?!?

My motor is fine but the anode is shot on it. I’m going to have to buy a hoist when this is fixed.
That's another good question......Do you guys swim off your dock?!?
Yes we do. I’ve never seen dead fish floating that would suggest stray current. My old boat had zero issues so I have to believe it’s my new boat that’s having faulty ground issues. Interestingly my tachometer would get stuck and was jumpy but dealer said it’s probably humidity. Coincidence??
But if the dealer says it’s not my boat causing this then definitely no swimming for the kids!

Endless Summer,

I am having similar issues. Luckily the diver cleaning my hull spotted the pitting early. The upper anode on my Mercury 115 is showing pitting and some calcium build up.
Have you researched the proper anodes for the hull? I'm having trouble identifying the correct anode for hulls with the Aluminum Anodes on the motor.
Checked in to painting hulls but was told in the AZ heat expansion can cause paint failure.

I have empathy for your situation.
Dan

Definitely find the source/cause before fixing and putting back in the water. I boat in salt water and my rooms look nothing like that. Bummer

Endless Summer,

I am having similar issues. Luckily the diver cleaning my hull spotted the pitting early. The upper anode on my Mercury 115 is showing pitting and some calcium build up.
Have you researched the proper anodes for the hull? I'm having trouble identifying the correct anode for hulls with the Aluminum Anodes on the motor.
Checked in to painting hulls but was told in the AZ heat expansion can cause paint failure.

I have empathy for your situation.
Dan
Hey Dan,
Sure is frustrating to see this stuff. I’m thinking this is related to copper sulfate that our association treats the lake with. I’ve read articles about this same issue. My neighbor asked around and apparently it is wide spread with others on the water. This is my second home so I don’t really speak with a lot of the people who live there full time. I bought a hoist to remedy this. I’m also looking into anodes. I read only use magnesium in fresh water. Good luck with it. My neighbor has his on a hoist and zero issues.

My motor is fine but the anode is shot on it. I’m going to have to buy a hoist when this is fixed.

Yes we do. I’ve never seen dead fish floating that would suggest stray current. My old boat had zero issues so I have to believe it’s my new boat that’s having faulty ground issues. Interestingly my tachometer would get stuck and was jumpy but dealer said it’s probably humidity. Coincidence??
But if the dealer says it’s not my boat causing this then definitely no swimming for the kids!
I have been doing a lot of research and find articles on corrosion, pitting, to be generally not written for a non engineer to understand. A link I found that seems to offer some clarity is:

Dan

Very informative article Dan. Thanks for sharing it!

Back