Pontoon Boat cover - replacement

2017ben

Reaction score
I would like to find / buy an original replacement cover and bimi top for my 2017 Bennington. I'm finding out the Bennington does not sell identical replacement that I can find. I dont really need it now but as the boat gets older It would be nice to have if I sell or need it replaced. Im concerned the longer I wait the more obsolete it will be come if there is an identical replacement. It has buttons to attached the cover now now fyi. Any suggestions or thoughts? Or am I just better off to wait until I actually need one and have a local company make one for me.?

Attachments

• IMG_6930.jpg
    IMG_6930.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 5
I would suggest waiting until you need one and go the custom route. The materials seem to improve over time and you will get a perfect fit. I had a warranty claim on my 2019 cover and the replacement fit was worse than the original. Ended up getting a custom cover for $750ish and the fit a quality is perfect. Only complaint is they didn’t put a zipper in. Just my 2 cents, from a guy who is on his 3rd cover.

I would suggest waiting until you need one and go the custom route. The materials seem to improve over time and you will get a perfect fit. I had a warranty claim on my 2019 cover and the replacement fit was worse than the original. Ended up getting a custom cover for $750ish and the fit a quality is perfect. Only complaint is they didn’t put a zipper in. Just my 2 cents, from a guy who is on his 3rd cover.
Thas good info.. thanks... How long the warranty for a bennington cover?

Where did you purchase a custom cover for under $800.00 ?
I was just quoted 6k for a custom Sunbrella .

Thas good info.. thanks... How long the warranty for a bennington cover?
It is part of the bow to stern warranty. If it is defective, or falling apart on its own, it is replaceable under warranty so long as damage is not caused by things such as owner neglect or trailering. Your boat is still under warranty, but if in good conditions currently, then no issue or claim there.

I have a 2017 and our mooring cover is falling apart in multiple areas along seams, as well as fabric wearing holes in it in corner points that are tight over my front lights. It is getting replaced under warranty, but now I am worried about it after reading Pbakk’s comment above. Fingers crossed!

Where did you purchase a custom cover for under $800.00 ?
I was just quoted 6k for a custom Sunbrella .
In Rogers MN. The dealer helped coordinate. Sounded like they have buyers who need / want a custom cover at time of purchase. Maybe they want more deck coverage or different options.

Last edited:
It is part of the bow to stern warranty. If it is defective, or falling apart on its own, it is replaceable under warranty so long as damage is not caused by things such as owner neglect or trailering. Your boat is still under warranty, but if in good conditions currently, then no issue or claim there.

I have a 2017 and our mooring cover is falling apart in multiple areas along seams, as well as fabric wearing holes in it in corner points that are tight over my front lights. It is getting replaced under warranty, but now I am worried about it after reading Pbakk’s comment above. Fingers crossed!
My dealer said that cover #2 replaced under warranty “looked like the worker wanted to leave early on a Friday.” The fabric was cut short. At this point, I am very happy with new custom cover and dealer was amazing. They really supported me and I am sure it was a headache for them. Two thumbs up for Bennington / dealer and I am already planning for my next Bennington purchase at this dealer.

Isn't Tumacs still the OEM cover supplier for Bennington? I had to buy a new mooring cover and bimini top for my 2011 2275 RCW before I sold it 2 months ago (bought the cover in 2023) and just gave Tumacs my Hull Identification Number and they shipped me a factory cover and bimini top.

The new material was I believe Surelast vs sunbrella. I think it was $3200 for both the mooring cover and the bimini top. The only issue was the new mooring cover doesn't have the snaps installed and you have to do it yourself (but they supply them). The bimini top had the snap installed so it was plug and play.

Here was the email from Tumacs on the material used. Its now an Ecolite. They said 6-8 weeks to get a new cover, but it was less then 4 weeks. It also included the 4 black vents that the poles lock into.

From: P460 Pittsburgh Office <pittsburgh@tumacscovers.com>
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2023 12:09 PM
To: Sturm, Todd W <Todd.W.Sturm@aptiv.com>
Cc: Corrine Jackson <corrine@tumacscovers.com>
Subject: RE: Todd Sturm 1/20

Hi Todd,

The Sunbrella material is a heavier material in comparison to Surlast but now Bennington is transitioning over the EcoElite material. You can go to www.sunsolutionproducts.com/solution7 to read about the EcoElite material. The cost is the same as I quoted you in January for the cover in Surlast material. The EcoElite material is 7 oz material just like the Surlast. We no longer offer the Sunbrella material. The new cover price does include the black vents and they will be installed for you. The estimated shipping cost would be $35 - $45. We are running approximately 6 – 8 weeks now from the time you place your order.

A new Bimini Top w/Boot in the EcoElite material $921 plus shipping and sales tax

Color: Burgundy

Here is the Care and Cleaning recommendation for the Surlast material –

CARE AND CLEANING

Sur Last is designed to be easy to maintain. It can be washed, or brushed off and rinsed. Proper care and cleaning is important to the life of all fabrics.

FOR NORMAL CARE AND CLEANING.

• Add 2 ounces of mild soap such as Woolite or Dawn dishwashing liquid to 1 gallon of lukewarm water.
  • Clean the fabric with a "soft bristle brush."
  • Rinse thoroughly with cold water and air dry.
FOR STUBBORN STAINS.

• Add maximum 1 cup of bleach to one 1 gallon of water.
  • Spray on lightly to the fabric face (non-coated side). Do not soak fabric. Prolonged exposure to harsh chemicals can damage the coating.
  • Rinse immediately. Do not leave on for more than 2 minutes.
Cleaning with harsh cleaners such as bleach will require a retreatment like 303 High Tech Fabric Guard for restoring water repellency.

Thanks Todd and have a great day!

Thank You,

Debbie

Tumacs Covers

50 Terence Drive

Pittsburgh, PA 15236

412-653-1188 x242

tumacscovers.com

My original order was lost in the shuffle in the off season. :rolleyes: The dealership had to put a “new” warranty claim at the end of April. My new mooring cover is scheduled to ship out on July 1. So sometime the second week of July we should have it all set for the boat in conjunction with the dealership. So my warranty replacement mooring cover is taking about 8-9 weeks.

Just have a new one made at a local canvas shop! I am a big fan of the Sunbrella fabric! We had it on our previous boat. Mooring cover and Bimini! Premium breathable fabric! But I must admit the Tumacs Surlast material on my current boat has weathered 5 seasons and still looks great!!!

Just have a new one made at a local canvas shop! I am a big fan of the Sunbrella fabric! We had it on our previous boat. Mooring cover and Bimini! Premium breathable fabric! But I must admit the Tumacs Surlast material on my current boat has weathered 5 seasons and still looks great!!!
I can appreciate getting a better one made out of Sunbrella. However, mine’s a warranty replacement, so not going to spend my $ on a one made locally. Now once off warranty when this one eventually fails, that will be my game plan. Hopefully that is MANY years down the road. ;)

Now with that said, mine will be made out of the newer OEM material: Ecolite. So I too will get a chance to see what I think of it.

My original Surelast mooring cover starting failing in year 4 in small spots around bimini frame seams. Waited 3 more years, and until it was failing bad around bimini post spots, 1 cord tore out, 1 vent seam failed, and 1 front head light area ripped along light housing frame in the fabric. A bit of an bummer given we don’t trailer it aside from the 1/2 mile from boat launch to dealership twice a year (and even then, the cover is off).

Ideally the Ecolite will be more robust, but we’ll see. Even if I only get another 7-8 years out of it, at least at that point I will be able to stomach a local canvas shop replacement in Sunbrella (or future equivalent) on my own dime. :cool:

I can appreciate getting a better one made out of Sunbrella. However, mine’s a warranty replacement, so not going to spend my $ on a one made locally. Now once off warranty when this one eventually fails, that will be my game plan. Hopefully that is MANY years down the road. ;)

Now with that said, mine will be made out of the newer OEM material: Ecolite. So I too will get a chance to see what I think of it.

My original Surelast mooring cover starting failing in year 4 in small spots around bimini frame seams. Waited 3 more years, and until it was failing bad around bimini post spots, 1 cord tore out, 1 vent seam failed, and 1 front head light area ripped along light housing frame in the fabric. A bit of an bummer given we don’t trailer it aside from the 1/2 mile from boat launch to dealership twice a year (and even then, the cover is off).

Ideally the Ecolite will be more robust, but we’ll see. Even if I only get another 7-8 years out of it, at least at that point I will be able to stomach a local canvas shop replacement in Sunbrella (or future equivalent) on my own dime. :cool:
My reply was in response to the original poster 2017ben. You won't have to spend any of your money on a cover for a long time! Our original Surlast cover on our old Benny lasted 12 yrs! My wife literally put her hand through it while covering the boat. Looking back at what I wrote about the cover on my current boat weathering 5 yrs I had to laugh. The last 2 yrs we've stored it in a building. But we still cover it!

Back