Pontoon Hydrofoil

jcr159

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the warranty, I'm the second owner of the boat. I bought the hydrofoil. We just got it installed and I haven't tried it with watersports. If you keep the motor trimmed down the foil doesn't come into play. It turns mostly the same, as the pontoons are still in the water. I haven't had any issues with weeds, I do steer around them. I think you could just back up, like you do to clear weeds off you engine. We got it on the same day that we left the lake house, so not a lot of hours on it yet. We will be back late July, will know more then. The wife is used to my different crazy ideas about things, but she said I did good on this one! Lol. It has lots of adjustment and if you wanted to take it off it's only 4 bolts. I don't see us ever taking it off.

thanks for the info! keep us posted, the more documented experiences the better! I'll be interested to hear your experiences after re-propping and your fuel burn...

Bill N

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the old Misty Harbor pontoons?
Their tubes were rectangular with an inverted V on the bottom, essentially forcing the boat to ride up on top of the water instead of plowing through it. We had one on our lake and they pulled skiers with a 115. I imagine there was a compromise in ride quality?

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the old Misty Harbor pontoons?
Their tubes were rectangular with an inverted V on the bottom, essentially forcing the boat to ride up on top of the water instead of plowing through it. We had one on our lake and they pulled skiers with a 115. I imagine there was a compromise in ride quality?
Did they recently go out of business?!?

DVW

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the warranty, I'm the second owner of the boat. I bought the hydrofoil. We just got it installed and I haven't tried it with watersports. If you keep the motor trimmed down the foil doesn't come into play. It turns mostly the same, as the pontoons are still in the water. I haven't had any issues with weeds, I do steer around them. I think you could just back up, like you do to clear weeds off you engine. We got it on the same day that we left the lake house, so not a lot of hours on it yet. We will be back late July, will know more then. The wife is used to my different crazy ideas about things, but she said I did good on this one! Lol. It has lots of adjustment and if you wanted to take it off it's only 4 bolts. I don't see us ever taking it off.
Dino
Thank you for your report. As I said above in the 9th reply “this is a tough crowd for new ideas” (unless it has a Bennington warrantee). Not everyone here is negative or maybe jealous. There are some here who truly want to hear more from you as you gain more experience. Please keep us posted.

Dino

Reaction score
It's all good. I can understand the warranty thing. Just sounded like everyone's curious and thought I would share. Our trip back to the lake house has been pushed back a week or so. I will post again when we return to the lake house in August. Thanks.

Rocketman356

Reaction score
Has anyone installed hydrofin’s hydrofoils on there tritoon?
They recently came out with a tritoon version

Attachments

• 6C1B34C5-1AE1-47A9-85CB-5EF0389C4C0A.png
    6C1B34C5-1AE1-47A9-85CB-5EF0389C4C0A.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 14

jcr159

Reaction score
Has anyone installed hydrofin’s hydrofoils on there tritoon?
They recently came out with a tritoon version

seems like no... generally, the consensus is that it will void the lifetime warranty on the toons, hence pretty risky. A number of folks seem pretty interested, myself included, but I don't operate at speed very much (mostly no wake), hence limited benefit on my local lakes. If i was running offshore more, I might take the risk for the tradeoff of better ride and fuel burn.

Since it isn't a manufacturer recommended/approved hull modification, and this is a manufacturer sponsored board, you may not get as many responses as you like, though the company seems to be pretty small and limited in number of installs still....