Port Light is out

robbll

Reaction score
Hi All,  

I'm new to Bennington Forum and in need of some advice.  The port nav light on our 20 SLX does not work and I have no idea how to replace it.  The docking lights, the starboard light and the anchor lights are all working fine, so I'm guessing its the bulb inside.  How do I replace the bulb?  Is there a blow up diagram of the light unit itself that would help me see what's holding it in place or could someone please tell me the secret to fixing this?  Thanks in advance!

Robb

PS The picture below is the type of light on my Bennington.

2ecb3dd30a0d02b700a05bc38c6d1f60.jpg

Should be warranty .

Thanks, I understand, but the dealer is 30 miles away and I have no trailer. Warranty is great if I knew how to open up the light!

Thanks, I understand, but the dealer is 30 miles away and I have no trailer. Warranty is great if I knew how to open up the light!

My dealer is 100 miles away and had somone drive to me to fix something. Call your dealer. Worst case, he'll have somone explain to you how to fix it and Maybe send you the parts.

My dealer is 100 miles away and had somone drive to me to fix something. Call your dealer. Worst case, he'll have somone explain to you how to fix it and Maybe send you the parts.

+1. My dealer sent someone 230 miles to fix a problem. 

Amazing for sure, but we're talking about replacing a lightbulb. Shouldn't require heroics...has anyone ever had to replace a bulb in the nav light?  

I don't think the leds are replaceable, you need the whole light. Should be warranty.

My 2015 isn't like that one, but to investigate, remove the screws that hold it, from under the deck. You'll also need to remove the wire hangers to give you enough slack to lift the light assembly. You should be able to access the rest of it from the underside of the light assembly.

Mine has the festoon bulb, but it went out just because the bulb itself had gotten bumped lose within the assembly.

Hope this helps you a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE : I went to visit the local dealer who is located about 35 miles away to seek assistance.  They were absolutely fantastic, ordered me a new LED port light under warranty and I was able to replace the LED in about 10 minutes. The dealer had one off of another boat to show me how simple it was.  Great service and an excellent warranty with Bennington. Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Did you get an LED bulb or a whole new assembly?

They sent me the LED Bulb Assembly only which is enclosed in a small, oblong black plastic housing with two (2) electric leads and a quick disconnect on the end. The old light did not turn on for reasons unknown to me, but works great now!

They did not send me a whole new stainless assembly because my docking lights were fine, just the port navigation LED light. See attached pic if this helps. 

2ecb3dd30a0d02b700a05bc38c6d1f60.jpg.8a1df3dfc062058fc5364e87acdc038a.jpg

That clears it up! Thanks

I was able to order my bulbs from the manufacturer of the bulbs and assembly. The bulb version the dealer had was different.

Thanks. Are these made exclusively for Bennington? Upon closer inspection the dock lights lenses are very cloudy (but work) and the red is out I assume blown bulb, I was thinking of replacement the entire unit but can't find it.

Attachments

• Port side light.JPG
    Port side light.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 8
Take a look at these, this is what mine used and it was $16.67 plus shipping and handling. I picked up a couple of spares.

Btw I had to let them know I had the clip in style.

Back