Porta Potty

franklyfrank

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
April 16th, we picked up our new 2021 Bennington RXSBSD with a Yamaha 250 VMAX SHO motor.
Being senior citizens a PP would be a great idea to have.
Need suggestions as to what would be the best choice for us.
Never owned a boat or an RV with a PP before.

Do you mean a porta potty or a power pole?

After seeing what is involved with cleaning one, I opted to use a "luggable loo" which is basically a removable seat (with lid) on a five gallon bucket. We use black bags that are available on amazon and double them up. The bags are not "stretchy" like regular trash bags, and are sized nicely for this use. Pour some kitty litter in it, and you"re good-to-go. You can also forego the kitty litter and use the blue chemical stuff, but we like the kitty litter better. At the end of the day, it's simple to pick up and dispose of. No mess.
Of course, we only use it for "emergencies" (so to speak). Usually involves a kiddo who can't hold it.

What type of boating will you be doing? Just day trips? Multi-day trips to say Lake Powell? Will you have easier access to trash cans or pump-out facilities? Or just the marina bathroom? Or will you be able to dump it and clean it out at home?

Dumping any type of porta potty is not a fun job. Unless you have access to a lot of water to clean and flush it out, it's a bit of a chore to get it really clean.

On Lake Powell they have many pump out stations, where they have a nice tray to dump the porta potty and plenty of water to get it cleaned out. But they don't have nearly as many places to dump trash, so a luggable loo would be worse in this case. So for a lake like Powell, when you're out for multiple days, a regular porta potty like a Thetford Curve is perfect.

But if you will only have, say an andy gump or regular bathroom to dump the tank, it's kind of a chore to carry the tank into the bathroom and dump it out, as you don't have a good, sanitary way to clean it out. You're left with a porta potty that's still got remnants inside. In this case, a luggable loo, like mentioned above is way better. Nothing to clean out, just a bag to dispose of in the trash.

Either way, you have to figure out how to be sure it doesn't tip over. The Thetford Curve has an optional base that is fastened to the floor, and then the toilet clicks into the base.

And for the Luggable loo in my Sprinter van, I made a box that is secured to L-Track in the floor, and then added magnets to the bottom of the luggable loo, so it magnets into place in the box, and is nice and secure.

We do mostly 2 to 4 hour tours Sarasota Bay, Tampa Bay and sorrounding areas.
The Porta Potty would be mostly for emergencies .
I do have a a very convenient clean out to pump into with water practically next to it at the house.
About 75' from the dock.

We do mostly 2 to 4 hour tours Sarasota Bay, Tampa Bay and sorrounding areas.
The Porta Potty would be mostly for emergencies .
I do have a a very convenient clean out to pump into with water practically next to it at the house.
About 75' from the dock.

The thought of dumping a nasty chemical toilet was not appealing. We went with the Go Anywhere portable toilet. It folds up to a small suitcase size when not in use, and uses individual potty bags with poo powder in them. Each person handles their own, ahem, issues. The bags are thick and get wrapped up in a thicker ziploc bag which eliminates smell and can be thrown away. It is short and can be a bit tippy, but it’s perfect for us.

The thought of dumping a nasty chemical toilet was not appealing. We went with the Go Anywhere portable toilet. It folds up to a small suitcase size when not in use, and uses individual potty bags with poo powder in them. Each person handles their own, ahem, issues. The bags are thick and get wrapped up in a thicker ziploc bag which eliminates smell and can be thrown away. It is short and can be a bit tippy, but it’s perfect for us.
I like this one.

AU, this sounds like a nice option. I avoided a PP for our boat for a few reasons. One being post boating clean up, and another being we are lakeside. However, this sure seems like a nice option with easy disposal and clean up. Thanks for putting it on my radar. Is it as sturdy, easy to use, and easy to clean up as advertised?

We thought about getting a PP at one time. But there are so many restaurants, marinas, parks, etc. on this lake that we could stop in at we decided against it. Or better yet just go home!!!

What happened to the good old days of a 5 - gallon bucket and a kitchen trash bag. Sorry, I'm old and spent 40 plus years working construction, LOL

Hello everyone.
April 16th, we picked up our new 2021 Bennington RXSBSD with a Yamaha 250 VMAX SHO motor.
Being senior citizens a PP would be a great idea to have.
Need suggestions as to what would be the best choice for us.
Never owned a boat or an RV with a PP before.
I have the RXS23 with the same 250 vmax and am very happy not having a smaller motor. As far as pp, it is a necessity when touring around with women on board. We have the fold out/up changing room on the port side adjacent to the side door. It fits perfect in there and easy to use. We just got the $99 one at West Marine and works fine and nice and portable.

Forgot to mention:
With the luggable loo, it fits perfectly in a milk crate, which keeps it from tipping over. The "corners" store baby wipes and toilet paper nicely. Never had an issue, even when aggressively tubing/cornering all day.

Although we are lakeside our lake is large enough that a pp is a must. We have an RL and one of the advantages was that the back sun deck is large enough to fit in a full size standard commode. Like others don’t want to deal with emptying and cleaning so we use Sanibags. Pouches with the blue chemical that turns liquid into a gel. They are green wise and can be put into the dumpster

5-gal bucket and a pool noodle cut to size, amazingly comfortable on the bum and about as cost effective as you can get. Heavy-duty bags and cat-litter stowed below.

Everyone laughs until they need to make a run south of the border themselves. Then it's the greatest invention known to man.

We just got a 22ssbx and think we need a porta-potty. Expected to put one under the rear "changing room" (don't have curtains yet but it is set up for it). But, I measured and it is just 12" and the specs for every PP I can find say 12.5" - this would seem very bad planning on the part of Bennington! Could the specs be wrong? Has anyone found one that fits?

We just got a 22ssbx and think we need a porta-potty. Expected to put one under the rear "changing room" (don't have curtains yet but it is set up for it). But, I measured and it is just 12" and the specs for every PP I can find say 12.5" - this would seem very bad planning on the part of Bennington! Could the specs be wrong? Has anyone found one that fits?
I know there is one that fits, and someone in these forums even shared a direct amazon link for one that fits under the swingback at some point. Unfortunately, I didn’t save it. You might get a quick reply here soon with an option that fits by someone else. If not, try doing a search (top right, search box). Most don’t fit, but there is at least one option that will.

BTW, congratulations on your new boat. Any chance you can drop a post with some pictures of it? It’s kind of a tradition around here, seeing everyone’s new boats.

Search - a couple of threads on this. IMO a fold up with the bags is the best solution.

We have the 2021 22SSBX and I measured 12 inches. I purchased a Marpac 2.6 Gallon and it was 12 1/4 tall. When I put it on the boat it fit perfectly. You have to align it with the changing room frame. Only bad thing is opening the changing room with the Bimini down (stowed). It gets in the way and is difficult to remove the port-potty. My wife used it on the last trip and is quite happy with it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 8.25.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 8.25.42 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 8.23.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 8.23.08 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Back