Power-assist steering

kinzuakid

Reaction score
We’re in the process of building our new boat and wanted some feedback on whether or not to add the power assist hydraulic steering. Current build is a 23LSB twin elliptical performance package with 150hp. We don’t do any tubing and the lake we boat on is not exceptionally choppy on most days. Just wondering if I need the power assist steering with the added cost to the build. Thoughts?

1 finger steering like a car with the Power Hydraulic Assist or single hand- possible dual hands in a tight high speed turn with the Sea Star Hydraulic. I have the good ole "arm strong" cable steering. Next boat will have Sea Star.

Does the lake you will boat on lend itself to a lot of straight ahead boating, or will you be turning and adjusting course a lot? I hear those larger twin ellipticals turn flat and a little harder than a normal pontoon, or certainly a tritoon. Perhaps a twin elip owner can speak to how accurate that is or is not.

If just doing a lot of straight ahead cruising, maybe its less of an issue which what you go. However, if you will be turning a lot or making a lot of subtle course corrections, maybe worthwhile to go power assist.

I remember a piece of advice I got on this forum back in 2016 when considering our order. I was asking about a lot of things, including helm and seating (I’m only 5‘ 8’, so not very tall), and power assist steering (bad back/neck).

Someone pointed out that everyone often sinks a lot of money into boat options that impact passengers. However, they sometimes shortchange themselves. They suggested if I was going to be the main captain at the helm most of the time, why wouldn’t I invest in my own comfort as over time I will be putting in a lot of time behind the wheel? That advice stuck with me, and I am glad I listened to it!

It did cause me to spend more on my power assist steering, but I have never regreted it. I wouldn’t get a boat without it now. IMHO it is a worthwhile add on. That said, I have a tritoon and not the twin ellipticals.

Does the lake you will boat on lend itself to a lot of straight ahead boating, or will you be turning and adjusting course a lot? I hear those larger twin ellipticals turn flat and a little harder than a normal pontoon, or certainly a tritoon. Perhaps a twin elip owner can speak to how accurate that is or is not.

If just doing a lot of straight ahead cruising, maybe its less of an issue which what you go. However, if you will be turning a lot or making a lot of subtle course corrections, maybe worthwhile to go power assist.

I remember a piece of advice I got on this forum back in 2016 when considering our order. I was asking about a lot of things, including helm and seating (I’m only 5‘ 8’, so not very tall), and power assist steering (bad back/neck).

Someone pointed out that everyone often sinks a lot of money into boat options that impact passengers. However, they sometimes shortchange themselves. They suggested if I was going to be the main captain at the helm most of the time, why wouldn’t I invest in my own comfort as over time I will be putting in a lot of time behind the wheel? That advice stuck with me, and I am glad I listened to it!

It did cause me to spend more on my power assist steering, but I have never regreted it. I wouldn’t get a boat without it now. IMHO it is a worthwhile add on. That said, I have a tritoon and not the twin ellipticals.
Mainly straight ahead cruising. Good point about getting comfort and ease for the driver. I may just bite the bullet and add it in. Certainly easier to add now during the build vs trying to add after boats been delivered. Thanks.

Power assist was on the boat when I bought it and I've been extremely impressed with it, effortless 1 finger steering at any speed or tubing maneuver.
Now whenever I "build" a new boat on the website I click that option, and the ESP option, and a bunch of others :)
I know it's easy to add all the options to a build when I'm just messing around and wishing but I'm positive the power assist steering and ESP would survive the budget cuts if I'd ever seriously build a boat I actually plan to buy.

Yes ,order it now .

Mainly straight ahead cruising. Good point about getting comfort and ease for the driver. I may just bite the bullet and add it in. Certainly easier to add now during the build vs trying to add after boats been delivered. Thanks.
If you do end up adding it now, the bonus is that the system is then bundled with your 10 year Bennington warranty.

That’s also a nice “excuse” or “justification” for adding it now if any explanations need to be provided to a significant other. ;)

Whatever you end up deciding, congratulation on your upcoming boat order. I hope the process goes well for you, and hope you post pictures back in the forum next year when you get it. Fun times ahead!

We’re in the process of building our new boat and wanted some feedback on whether or not to add the power assist hydraulic steering. Current build is a 23LSB twin elliptical performance package with 150hp. We don’t do any tubing and the lake we boat on is not exceptionally choppy on most days. Just wondering if I need the power assist steering with the added cost to the build. Thoughts?
This site has a search function in the upper right corner. Since this topic has been discussed here many, many times, I suggest you try it.Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 1.08.17 PM.png

Power Assist is well worth the money. It’s makes a awesome driving pontoon

I have a 22' elliptical SFX without the power assist with a 150 Merc. 98% of the time it is fine. It would be a huge advantage while docking. Trying to turn the wheel one handed while working the throttle can be a struggle. I would get the power assist. Only adds $5 to the monthly payment.:)

Back