Power assist

skipperbill

Reaction score
Good morning friends! I haven’t been on here in a couple of years but thought I’d run this question by the group. During winterization last year, my marina noticed that my power steering “seals” were leaking and we agreed they should be replaced. Of course I never had a problem throughout the season last Summer. Tried to get the boat in the water last week and had to abort. My steering wheel was only turning one direction. After taking it back to the shop, I am now being told I need a whole new power assist pump for $2700. I inquired about the coincidence of this happening after the seals were messed with and the system mucked around with in general. I’m being told that it’s entirely just a coincidence. Any thoughts?

The timing seems “fishy”, but then again maybe the leaking had caused some issues that really didn’t materialize until work had to be done on them this past winter. That said, if I were in your shoes, all that would be going through my mind is “what did they do!?!”. Maybe others have better insight on an issue like this.

TOTALLY off point question/comments: I see you list yourself as Horsehead Lake, MI. in your signature. Is that where you live, or are still at with a cottage?

My grandparents (mom’s side) had a cottage in the little South Bay/Cove area when I was very little. They then built by hand themselves (with my uncles help, and me getting in the way) a slightly larger cottage on the somewhat southwest shore of the main lake - just a handful of cottages down from the little marina on the west shore (if that’s still there?).

My lifelong love of water, boating, water sports, winter snowmobiling, and just lake life in general formed on Horsehead Lake. My memories of Horsehead lake are some of my happiest of my childhood.

My grandparents place was sold off a few years after their death in the late 80’s. I visited it a couple times in my young adult years whenever heading by that area just to “see it”…grandparents handprints still in the patio cement by the side door!

We even looked at cottages on Horsehead Lake back in 2015-16 when we were looking to buy a lake house. I couldn’t resist seeing if something was a possiblity. Owners of my grandparents cottage were not selling, or…. Ha! Anyway, we ended up on Houghton Lake instead.

Anyway, I had to reach out and share. Would love to hear where you are at on the lake.

Thanks for the response. We’ve had a cottage on Horsehead for 12 years now. It really is a hidden gem. We have 3 kids 15, 12 and 9 and spend as many weekends up there as we can in the Summer. Our place is on the West side of the main part of the lake, kind of right in the middle. We have a small sandbar right out in front with a rock that props tend to hit. We’re often waving people in closer so they don’t get stuck. That might give you an idea where we are. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the response. We’ve had a cottage on Horsehead for 12 years now. It really is a hidden gem. We have 3 kids 15, 12 and 9 and spend as many weekends up there as we can in the Summer. Our place is on the West side of the main part of the lake, kind of right in the middle. We have a small sandbar right out in front with a rock that props tend to hit. We’re often waving people in closer so they don’t get stuck. That might give you an idea where we are. Thanks for sharing!
I have a good idea of where you are. Been at the sandbar a number of times as a teen. You could see it from my grandparents place. It was diagonally north east from their west shore cottage as you faced the lake.

Absolutely a hidden gem!!!

We
Well it's NOT hidden any more! Ha! Is the rock/sand bar marked or do only locals know about it?!?

Back