Prop choice-2575RL w/ 350mag

Ionize

Reaction score
Hi All, 1st post here.

Got my new 2010 2575 RL with a 350 mag and bravo one, came from bennington/dealer with a mirage plus ss 19 pitch. After a few hours on a reasonable break-in routine (15 hrs now) the facts are:

WOT with 2 people 1/3 tank fuel and not much else

4300 rpm and about 38 mph on GPS

This seems low to me, I'd like to see 5100-5200 rpm with this light load

My dealer has been helpful but unable to get the company to respond they say, I think a 16p or at least 17p of same prop would be better, I don't want to lug the motor, esp. with full load/watersports.

On the Benn invoice it says the boat comes with this mirage plus 19p, I find that surprising

Anyone have experience propping this combo???

Thanks!!

Yep I've been on a couple of different sites for prop selection-all seem to indicate the boat is over-propped. Has anyone repropped their Benn when it was new with "help" ie prop exchange with the dealer or Benn? My selling dealer was not local as boat was a close-out

For some reason it seems like it's typical for engines to come through with props that have too much pitch.

I SUSPECT it's because props are often selected by the engine builder, not the boat builder; but honestly, I don't really know.

Also, if I'm not mistaken there are 2 or 3 different gear drives that you might have on that stern drive, and that will definitely affect things.

I would advise that the first thing you do is find out what your gear ratio is.

Also, if you end up experimenting with different props, it's cheaper to experiment with aluminum and then if you still want SS, to buy that at the end.

Finally, I think your instinct is correct. I think you have too much pitch. But you know... one step at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are over-propped. See if you can get your dealer to send you a 16 pitch. Even if it's not stainless it would get you someplace to start. The dealer should work with you. If not see if you have a local prop shop that will work with you. Often they will let you try differant props until you find one that works with your boat. Quite often it's a matter of trial and error to find the right prop for your boat. You do not want to be lugging your engine.

Hi All, 1st post here.

Got my new 2010 2575 RL with a 350 mag and bravo one, came from bennington/dealer with a mirage plus ss 19 pitch. After a few hours on a reasonable break-in routine (15 hrs now) the facts are:

WOT with 2 people 1/3 tank fuel and not much else

4300 rpm and about 38 mph on GPS

This seems low to me, I'd like to see 5100-5200 rpm with this light load

My dealer has been helpful but unable to get the company to respond they say, I think a 16p or at least 17p of same prop would be better, I don't want to lug the motor, esp. with full load/watersports.

On the Benn invoice it says the boat comes with this mirage plus 19p, I find that surprising

Anyone have experience propping this combo???

Thanks!!
I find this a little interesting... Every new boat I have purchased(4 now) has come with a dealer installed prop, including our new Benny. The dealer had been told that Merc was coming out with a new 4 blade for our style toon, but Merc decided it didn't meet expectations and I got the previous recommended prop. Our dealer has offered to exchange props for us if I want, but would have to order in what I wanted...

Good news! Bennington has sent me 2 props to check out and swap onto the boat - 15p mirage plus and a 16p enertia...I'm sure one of them will work, now to try them out...

Please let us know which one worked out for you.

Looks like I'm going with a Enertia 16p...It gave me 5200rpm with just me in the boat, approx 30 gal fuel and other light items. GPS showed 41-42 mph. Seems like a nice prop!

Back