Prop damage

L Grey papa

Reaction score
Hit my first rock! Already ordered a new prop but generally speaking how bad does this look? I have docked the boat until I get the replacement because I’m afraid of a damaged prop doing more damage. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3246.jpeg
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3248.jpeg
    IMG_3248.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3245.jpeg
    IMG_3245.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3247.jpeg
    IMG_3247.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 53
You should be able to get that repaired.

Yeah, I’m sure that sounded pretty when it happened. I’ve definitely seen much worse! The lake just north of us has a “rock island” that draws unwitting captains in.

Yeah, I’m sure that sounded pretty when it happened. I’ve definitely seen much worse! The lake just north of us has a “rock island” that draws unwitting captains in.
sounded horrible! I thought the whole motor was gonna fall off but this is all the damage that came from it. Got lucky I guess!

I was worried about that also. I asked the boat mechanic to check everything out when he puts my new prop on for me. We boated around a little bit after the strike and everything seemed to operate normally. Thanks for any advice!

If the strike was severe enough it could have damaged your lower unit gears, bearing and/or bent your prop shaft. There are many ways to check this but something to consider.
I was thinking the same thing. Especially since stainless steel doesn't give as much.....

I always carry a spare - along with an extra Hub. As Jack noted, the Mercury's now use a special hub that is designed to absorb the impact. I have had my prop's repaired at two places - discovered the major difference is the shop that will properly balance the prop. I generally spend $200 to $300 repairing my SS Enertia.

I’m gonna have my damaged one sent off and repaired that way I can have a spare. My only worry now is there more damage. I am gonna have the mechanic check it out when he puts my new prop on. Boat seemed to operate fine after we hit the rock so hopefully nothing else is damaged.

I appreciate the input, although I must say it’s making me nervous . Hopefully when the mechanic puts the new prop on he don’t see anything else.
Just out of curiosity , can you you ask who ever you are dealing with on this , if that flo torq saved your lower unit ?

They are made for Yamaha as well . Now Im curious if you have one .

I have a Yamaha and asked the dealer to install a Flo-torq along with the stainless steel prop, based on the recommendations on this site. Hopefully I’ll never need it but good to know it’s there.

Back