Prop for 2275 GCW w/ 115 Mercury

djm

Reaction score
Hi Guy's

New to the forums and a proud owner of a 2012 Bennington 2275 GCW (Tri Toon) with a 115 4-Stroke Mercury

Im sure there is no definitive answer but I was hoping to get a better idea on prop selection. I am currently running a 13.75 X 15P 3-Blade prop and with 3 people on board and a full gas tank I maxed out at 5600 RPM. Definitely impressed with the speed but of course would like to see if I can get a bit more top end.

The specs on the motor rpm's says 6400 max. Do I have some wiggle room for a prop that may give me a bit more top end or should I just leave it alone.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

D

Welcome to the party dfm. You might want to try a 13p prop to bring up the rpm. I run a 15p with a 150hp so you might have too much. Do you have strakes?

Last edited by a moderator:
How fast are you running at 5600 ? You're leaving 800 rpm's on the table. Take advantage of it and drop down it pitch. You may or may not gain speed, but your motor will thank you with better fuel efficiency and all around performance.

Yes cwag all 3 logs have strakes on them.

Ben, not sure of the speeds we are seeing (no speedo) but possibly mid to high 20's if I were to guess. I will try gauge the speed this weekend with a gps.

So if I drop down should I just go with a 13.75 X 13P ??

Thanks very much for the input.

13.75 or a 14 x 13p should be fine. Look for a pontoon prop with extra cupping. You could also plug in your numbers at the Mercury marine prop selector and see what that comes up with. It's "educated guesswork". B)

Yes cwag all 3 logs have strakes on them.

Ben, not sure of the speeds we are seeing (no speedo) but possibly mid to high 20's if I were to guess. I will try gauge the speed this weekend with a gps.

So if I drop down should I just go with a 13.75 X 13P ??

Thanks very much for the input.
Unless your toons are extremely fouled, or your prop badly dinged, I'm guessing you should see speeds in the mid 30's or better. Lately I have been seeing posts here with positive feedback for the newer 4 blade props. Might be worth a look.

Hi Guy's

New to the forums and a proud owner of a 2012 Bennington 2275 GCW (Tri Toon) with a 115 4-Stroke Mercury

Im sure there is no definitive answer but I was hoping to get a better idea on prop selection. I am currently running a 13.75 X 15P 3-Blade prop and with 3 people on board and a full gas tank I maxed out at 5600 RPM. Definitely impressed with the speed but of course would like to see if I can get a bit more top end.

The specs on the motor rpm's says 6400 max. Do I have some wiggle room for a prop that may give me a bit more top end or should I just leave it alone.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

D
I have the same motor and prop. 24SSL with express center tube. I get 35 mph at 6400. Full set of strakes (6).

Are you using a Black Max prop?

I hit 6400 with a pretty good load, but can't get past 35 mph with just me in the boat, so I think I could get a little more speed...

Do you leave your boat in the water all the time? Do your tubes have algae on them?

How fast are you running at 5600 ? You're leaving 800 rpm's on the table. Take advantage of it and drop down it pitch. You may or may not gain speed, but your motor will thank you with better fuel efficiency and all around performance.
Interesting; Assuming no speed increase at full throttle how would you gain MPG when turning more RPM at the same speed? More times the prop spins the more fuel the engine uses.

I changed from a Solas 15 pitch to a Yamaha 15 pitch, my RPM went up 700 RPM (about 13%), speed only a couple 1/10s difference and MPG went way down. Even when cruising at 10 to 15 (which is most of our time) the RPM is lower and better fuel economy with the Solas, the added bonus is a slightly quieter engine.

There is a fine line with props to get the best balance of all attributes.

Steve

Back