PROP motor ?

bassn429

Reaction score
Got our new 2012 20 sl in the water today to do our break in on the motor. Its a 60hp merc. bf got 2hrs on it and so i could get to the wot part of it. hit the wot and was running at 5200 to 5300 rpm. My manual says i should be between 5500 and 6000 rpm wot. Im running a 14 x 11 alum. prop Had 24gal of gas and 4 people on board. Is this normal or do i need to reprop and if i need to reprop which way do i go. Oh and i tryed all different trim settings and it stayed consistant at 52 to 5300. Motor is also mounted on hole #1 the lowest setting. Sorry for the long post but trying to get all the info in that u guys and gals will need. anyone with this setup advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to 1 and all

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the ride!! Did you try to gps the speed at all? Everyone on here LOVES to hear mph numbers, good for comparison stuff.

Derrick

Less pitch.

14 x 10p or 14 x 9p, hard to say which, but if I had to guess I'd say to go 14 x 9p so that when the logs get dirty as the season goes on you will have some headroom to work with.

You should get fairly close to 20mp with a 14 x 9p prop. 19mph anyway...

Each inch of pitch reduction is about 100-200 rpm. Testing should be done with light loaf and should be at the top end of the rpm scale. That way as you add cargo and passengers, you still fall in the recommend range.

My prop of choice is a 15x15 mercury enertia prop. I hit top 5700 rpm with light load and run mid 40's on my 2011 2275 rcw with a Merc Pro XS 150. Factory HOW at about 165hp.

Good luck with your new boat. Your gonna love it.

Todd

mtudb, I am surprised at your mid 40's. I haven't had my boat in the water yet but am expecting about 26mph with my Yamaha F115 with two 25" toons on my RLi. I see your 150 with elipiptical tubes, strakes and the splash shield on yours. Is this what you contribute to such a dramatic increase. Hope I didn't make mistake taking dealer stock rather than ordering. If I end up being dissapointed what are my aftermarket options that wont effect the warranty

Eric, would appreciate your comments as well

I will post top speed next time we get her out. If i rem. to bring my gps with me. :rolleyes: And yes we are loving the new toon its are 1st one we came from a 18' speedboat. The TOON IS THE WAY TO GO. And does anyone know where i can get a stainless prop at. Have searched and cant find 1 for the 60 bf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link- the twin elips with strakes seems to be the fastest straight line boat with a given horsepower. I believe in part due to lighter weight then a 3 tube boat and less drag in the water. Now of course, the 3 tubers will run circles around our boats in the handling department.

The mercury pro xs is a HO version which is on the upper end of the 10% horsepower range allowed by law. So, they consistently put out 165ish hp. If you take that in consideration, a regular 150 could be 135 to 165hp. That is a big swing. Evinrudes etec HO is another motor always in the high end of the HP range.

Hope this helps

Todd

Got our new 2012 20 sl in the water today to do our break in on the motor. Its a 60hp merc. bf got 2hrs on it and so i could get to the wot part of it. hit the wot and was running at 5200 to 5300 rpm. My manual says i should be between 5500 and 6000 rpm wot. Im running a 14 x 11 alum. prop Had 24gal of gas and 4 people on board. Is this normal or do i need to reprop and if i need to reprop which way do i go. Oh and i tryed all different trim settings and it stayed consistant at 52 to 5300. Motor is also mounted on hole #1 the lowest setting. Sorry for the long post but trying to get all the info in that u guys and gals will need. anyone with this setup advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to 1 and all
TB please chime in on this or someone with the same setup thanks in advance again

We have a 2011 SLi, 25" tubes, 50hp Yamaha, 14x11 prop. The max rpm i've seen with 2 people, 3/4 tank of fuel is 5600rpm and 18 mph. I would go with Ericsher's advice, 14x9 should get you close to max rpm and maybe 20mph. Your extra 10 hp might get you a bit more than mine :p

We have a 2011 SLi, 25" tubes, 50hp Yamaha, 14x11 prop. The max rpm i've seen with 2 people, 3/4 tank of fuel is 5600rpm and 18 mph. I would go with Ericsher's advice, 14x9 should get you close to max rpm and maybe 20mph. Your extra 10 hp might get you a bit more than mine :p
Thanks for the input I also talked to my dealers service dept. and he was telling me to give itsome more break in time cause shes running real tight right now and shell loosen up and get alittle more rpm more arond the 10hr mark or so. And I did have 4 adults on it and it was a windy day and full tank of gas. Just dont want to drop to much pitch and over rev her. Any other thoughts or chime ins would be great . MY BENNINGTON BROTHERS AND SISTERS :D

Back