Prop Recommendation 2021 R24 Bow-rider 300 Verado

PinnacleG23

Reaction score
Will be receiving a new R24 Bowrider this spring with a Mercury Verado 300HP 1:85 gearcase. Any experience with a similar rig and power regarding props? My dealer here typically uses Enerita, but wondering about other models and sizes. Anyone running a rig like this that has feedback would be welcome

Will be receiving a new R24 Bowrider this spring with a Mercury Verado 300HP 1:85 gearcase. Any experience with a similar rig and power regarding props? My dealer here typically uses Enerita, but wondering about other models and sizes. Anyone running a rig like this that has feedback would be welcome
Enertia‘s are arguable one of the best 1-3 props you can get for a pontoon/tritoon; even more so when paired with a Mercury motor. I would 100% stick with the dealers recommendation here in that regard. They certainly are not skimping on you at all by going with an Enertia. I would personally argue the Enertia is the BEST prop to pair with a high HP Mercury Verado motor.

I do not have familiarity with trying to dial in one of the newer bowriders. They certainly see a performance trade off compared to a normal tritoon due to that center “toon” that they have.

Might have to experiment. Does your dealer have an Enertia prop size recommendation for your set up?

On a normal tritoon I’d be thinking an Enertia in the 17-18p range.

However, for that R24 Bowrider, maybe 15 -17p…almost leaning 15 or 16 because its going to already work harder pushing that hull configuration.

Personally, if you don’t find any other better recommendation for a R24 Bowrider with a 300 Mercury Verado, I’d start experimenting (if you can with your dealer and their inventory) with a 15p and 16p Enertia’s to start.

Either go up (or I suppose down maybe 1) from there depending on performance test numbers...?

Welcome Pinnacle! I can’t offer any specific suggestions, but the Enertia is a very good prop in general. I can say that you’re in for a real treat! Be sure and post some pictures!

As much as I agree on the Enertia (I have one on mine), one thing you'll notice is the blade ear has more rake than a traditional prop. This design nets a much better top-end speed but based on my testing you'll see more slip at the lower RPM ranges (sub-4000 RPM). With the heavier R and more drag with the Bowrider that performance tradeoff might be more pronounced.

I have no experience with an R Bowrider, but would recommend testing one other prop besides the Enertia if you can swing it and datalog your results. A Mirage, ECO Enertia or even a 4-blade prop might give up a few MPH to the Enertia but more bite, holeshot and MPG across more of your RPM band.

Hope this makes sense, it's not always easy to choose a prop since every boat and owner's needs are different.

As much as I agree on the Enertia (I have one on mine), one thing you'll notice is the blade ear has more rake than a traditional prop. This design nets a much better top-end speed but based on my testing you'll see more slip at the lower RPM ranges (sub-4000 RPM). With the heavier R and more drag with the Bowrider that performance tradeoff might be more pronounced.

I have no experience with an R Bowrider, but would recommend testing one other prop besides the Enertia if you can swing it and datalog your results. A Mirage, ECO Enertia or even a 4-blade prop might give up a few MPH to the Enertia but more bite, holeshot and MPG across more of your RPM band.

Hope this makes sense, it's not always easy to choose a prop since every boat and owner's needs are different.
Poto always give great advice in this area! Good food for thought here.

I will say the Verado’s in particular do better with hole shot and the entire power arc than other motors with the Enertia props. Not entirely sure why.

Thx hoping to try the Mirage as you suggest. I think the dealer will work with me to a point. I may also try the eco, provided its available in the pitch I need. Mercury suggests drooping down a pitch from the traditional to the eco due to its overly large blade area. I'll take the measurements and post the results.

Thx hoping to try the Mirage as you suggest. I think the dealer will work with me to a point. I may also try the eco, provided its available in the pitch I need. Mercury suggests drooping down a pitch from the traditional to the eco due to its overly large blade area. I'll take the measurements and post the results.

Just FYI the Mirage is an old design but battle tested - my guess is it won't outperform the Eco in MPG or Enertia in top speed but will be a balance between the two. A Yamaha SWS2 prop will likely give similar results +/- to the Mirage but the Yam hubs are butter smooth when shifting (zero clunk).

If you have the time or desire log your speed and MPG in 500 RPM increments for each prop as they will perform differently across the RPM band, and maybe try to time some acceleration (either to a particular speed or how long the boat takes to get on plane) to confirm holeshot if pulling tubes or skis. In all likelihood you're going to live with this prop selection for years to come so especially with price of gas being what it is dialing in the optimal prop will be worth the upfront effort.

Good luck!

Back