Prop Repair needed?

Skel15

Reaction score
Well, just bought a 2015 Bennington tri-room, my first boat, and just had it launched here in northern Michigan. Boat was shipped up from North Carolina, and needless to say I was eager to get it in the water as it is barely over 40° right now. As I launchEd the boat, I did hit the bottom a little bit with the prop, newbie mistake, and it did a little damage. I did not run the boat that fast, as I said it is still freezing outside, but when I put it on the hoist I noticed there was damage to the propeller. How do I know if I need to get it repaired? I do not have a spare prop yet. I feel as though I’ll definitely need to get it repaired at some point, just don’t know if it’s urgent. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 8CBF4106-75EC-43C5-AC45-5E23AAD3218A.jpeg
    8CBF4106-75EC-43C5-AC45-5E23AAD3218A.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 028C40D5-73F1-4406-8FF8-7B5FB5A32445.jpeg
    028C40D5-73F1-4406-8FF8-7B5FB5A32445.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 50
Hello and welcome. Where at in N. Michigan are you ? A bunch of us forum members are up there. For instance, we are in Houghton Lake. Got dock put in yesterday, and drop the boat and water toys back in on May 13.

WOW - yes, if they can repair that extensive of damage to your aluminum prop, you absoluely need to get that fixed. I wouldn’t run my motor with it as I wouldn’t want it luging the motor in any way or risk getting stranded. That looks bad, and I would think it would spin WAY out of balance. Did your motor run okay with it that way? Hopefully no damage to your lower unit…

Anyway, if it cannot be fixed, you’ll need a new one. Maybe just get a new prop, and then see if it is fixable and use that ole thing as a spare…?

I am not familiar with aluminum props and repairing them though, so hopefully someone with experience in that direction can provIde better insight and advice.

Last edited:
I’d have to agree with Vikingstaff, time to purchase a new prop. Btw, welcome to the family!

don't run it. It can wipe the bearings fairly quickly.

Thanks for all the great information. I am definitely going to buy a spare prop. Any thoughts on having the prop simply repaired as opposed to getting a new one.

We are located on Krystal Lake in Frankfort. Thanks for the welcoming words, especially from fellow Michiganders!

Okay you said that you didn't run it that fast. When you did run it did it have any vibration?!? They can fix aluminum props like brand new and it's not expensive. If you don't want to get another prop you have time to get it fixed. Just suggestions .....

new prop ASAP. Out of balance props can shorten the life of your lower unit. Typically I would only repair a stainless prop

Crystal Lake
Beautiful lake and area! Beach fires at Pt Bettie lighthouse is always fun. Of course, the Cherry Hut restaurant and the Cherry Bowl drive-in, as well as The Roadhouse. One of my brothers keeps his boat at the Frankfort municipal docks.

Yes MichiMan, Beautiful indeed! Today is a perfect example of that crystal clear blue water! it’s really nice being less than five minutes from a beautiful Lake Michigan Beach as well. We love it up here.

Yes MichiMan, Beautiful indeed! Today is a perfect example of that crystal clear blue water! it’s really nice being less than five minutes from a beautiful Lake Michigan Beach as well. We love it up here.
Sounds Heavenly!

Get the NEW prop! I have seen a lot of recommendation for Prop Gods - they might even suggest a pitch change that better fits your Benny.

Back