Prop selection for 23SSRXP with Merc 150

FormulaWS

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New to the forum as I just picked up my 2018 Bennington tritoon a couple months ago. Having some issues with the prop(s) and this looks like a great community to get some help or thoughts on the matter!

Here's my set-up:
- 23 SSRXP Tritoon
- Full wave shield
- Extended decks
- SPS Performance package
- Sealed lifting strakes
- Seastar steering
- Mercury 150 hp 4 stroke 25" shaft

The prop the dealer originally installed was a 48 16314 17P Mercury Vengeance SS prop. It felt like it was over propped. WOT was 5000 rpm with top speed 37 mph. The last 4-5 MPH took a while to get there. Also there was a vibration when you put it into gear. Went away with throttle, then came back at top end. Not much room on trim as it would instantly cavitate. Take any turn over 25 mph, cavitates and loses about 10 mph.

Consulted with dealer and they gave me a another prop to try. Vengeance SS prop 48 16312 15P. This resulted in tons of cavitation anytime you'd get on the throttle like I'm blowing it out. Would have to ease it up to speed. Would hit rev limiter and top speed 28 mph at WOT. So I had to manage it through throttle control so max was 3/4 throttle for my time out on the water.

Consulted with dealer and they are ordering a 4 blade from Mercury which is on back order. Not sure when I'm going to get to try that one.

In the meantime I'm thinking someone has to have this figured out that has a similar set-up to mine. It's frustrating with all this back and forth, but maybe it's part of the due process.

I'm looking for input from those that may have a similar rig to mine and what you run for prop?

You have a very popular set-up so hang in there as you should receive a number of replies from like equipped individuals. That said, maybe it's the diameter that's part of the problem. Seems as though yours is pretty large.

15p Enertia would be my choice.

What hole is the engine mounted in?? Sounds like it may be up a little to high if you’re blowing out the 15pitch. The enertia cwag mentioned is definitely a popular prop for your set up. For curiosity I’d run thru the merc prop guide and see what they recommend???

It's currently mounted in the lowest hole.

View media item 7940
Dealer is following the Mercury guide so at this point it's a process of elimination. I still got to think someone has the exact same set-up out there and has the prop that works for them.

I greatly appreciate the responses and what a great community!

Read thru list your specs here thread and you can probably find some comparable units. Most 150/200’s are running a 15 pitch some a 16. I run both on mine depending on the model so your definitely in the ball park. Make sure your starting with your trim all the way down and adjust as the Rpms come up, my boat is sensitive to the trim on the higher end for sure.

• Boat Model --------- 23 SPDXP
  • Model Year--------- 2018
  • Tube Option --------- SPS Triple
  • Power Option ----- Mercury Verado Pro 200
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade SS 14.75x16P
  • Performance ------ 44.6 MPH @ 5400 RPM, 3 people and full tank, glass water Not my boat, just a cut/paste from the other thread

Not my boat
  • Boat Model --------- 24 SSRX
  • Model Year --------- 2015
  • Tube Option -------- SPS 25" 'Toons
  • Power Option ----- Mercury Verado 200HP - 4-Stroke
  • Prop Specs ---------- 4 Blade SS Enertia - 15x15P
  • Performance ------ 37mph @ 5500rpm

2375 RCW SPS , Strakes only on the center tube ,Merc 150
15 X 15 Enertia

Last edited:
Take any turn over 25 mph, cavitates and loses about 10 mph.
Once you have the prop figured out you will still lose speed when turning, I ususally trim down some going into hard turns.

I had a Black Max that blew out easily, like you are describing, with just a little trim.

Switched to the Enertia, and it was like night and day difference. I can now give it a lot of trim before it blows out.

Prop design can be more important than diameter or pitch...

Not my boat
  • Boat Model --------- 24 SSRX
  • Model Year --------- 2015
  • Tube Option -------- SPS 25" 'Toons
  • Power Option ----- Mercury Verado 200HP - 4-Stroke
  • Prop Specs ---------- 4 Blade SS Enertia - 15x15P
  • Performance ------ 37mph @ 5500rpm
i filled out the form on Prop Wizard for a R23 and it showed a 15" by 15 4 blade was the right prop for my boat. Have not tried it but now I think I will nix that prop.

Back