Prop selection Yamaha f115 24ft SSRX

Shovelman

Reaction score
My 24’ pontoon SSRX came with 13.5x17 prop, with 2 people onboard I’m around 5600rpm at wot and 23 mph, add 2 people it drops to 5200 rpm and really loads it. I installed 13.5x15 oem prop and now with 2 people I’m at 5750 rpm and 20 mph at wot? It’s around 18 mph at 4500 rpm. This seems awfully slow with either prop. Any suggestions? I clean my toons every year, I leave it in water through season.

According to prop "recommendation" chart that Bennington provides to dealers , the recommended size for a 24ft with a 115 is 13.8 X 13 .
You can also check with Ken at https://propgods.com .
(941) 735-5808

Sounds like the only thing you are getting from your new prop is ventilation (slippige) The stock aluminum Yamaha propeller is not the best choice for that application. You may want to consider dropping down to a 13 pitch and adding a blade. I really like Turning Point propellers. I have one. They make a 13 pitch 4 blade with some cup that would work well in your application.

Sounds like the only thing you are getting from your new prop is ventilation (slippige) The stock aluminum Yamaha propeller is not the best choice for that application. You may want to consider dropping down to a 13 pitch and adding a blade. I really like Turning Point propellers. I have one. They make a 13 pitch 4 blade with some cup that would work well in your application.
I ordered a turning point 14x13 (3 blade) with hub kit today. I will give feedback. Thx

Just a FYI - many of us on here are running the Turning Point 13.5x15 4 blade with a Yamaha 115. If you do not like your new prop, suggest you try the 4 blade.

I went with 3 blade on turning point suggestion, they said the 4 blade is more recommended for Tritoons? I will see, I will probably try 4 blade if this doesn’t work well. I probably chasing my tail, I need more motor (150hp) is probably the biggest problem. I’m will probably move up to tritoon with more hp 150-200 range if my health holds up, fighting cancer for a while now, but all is good, not complaining.✌️

The 13 pitch propeller will be your best bet most likely. Maybe, just maybe a 14 pitch would suffice better. Good luck and be patient.

Update, I tried a 14x13 Turning Point Hustler, put me at 6200 rpm wot, very quick on bottom end but very slow at around 18 mph. I used the Turning Point MasterGuard hub kit, very clunky in and out of gear.
I bought another Hustler 13.75x15 and a Solas Rubex hub kit. Much better, 5500 rpm wot, can get 20-21mph but cruise at 4400 rpm 18 mph, much better usable power through rpm ranges. The rubex hub is buttery smooth in comparison to the MasterGuard hub. I’m gonna stick with this Hustler 13.75X15 for now. Yeah, I bought 3 props in 3 weeks but only way I knew to find out. I’m gonna sell the 13 pitch hustler, chalk it up to learning. The Hustler 15 pitch out performed the Yamaha oem 15 pitch, more usable power above 4500 rpm, the oem was 5750 rpm at wot compared to 5500 rpm on the Hustler, both 15 pitch. Thanks for all the input. Now to enjoy what’s left of summer here in western Ky .

Back