Prop size and pitch

JSM

Reaction score
Anyone out there have an F70 Yamaha? I have a 2014 2275. First pontoon and outboard. I love the boat. Black with monochromatic ivory, teak look aft, dark mocha palm carpet, shark hide, chrome logo and the flat finish wood trim. Really good look.

I have about 33 hours now and can currently only turn about 5150 at WOT. I think from what I have read I should be turning more towards 6000 rpm. I have also been told it is hard on the engine to not be turning more rpm at wide open WOT. I have checked this with a 1/2 tank or slightly less, 2 people, 2 batteries and the other normal items on board.

I am going to lake to check the set-up today to check what is on the boat. It looked like it was. 13 and possibly 5/8 by 13.

Ideas?

14 x 11p might do it.

I would go with the Yamaha Pontoon Performance Series SS.  If you are running a 13 5/8 by 13 yamaha aluminum now, you are going to want to go down to the 14x9 or 10 pitch.  I went from a 13.75 x 13 aluminum running 6300 rpm to the 14x13 SS Yamaha prop running 5800 rpm.

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up a new Talon series 13.5 x 10.5 aluminum today. I am going to try it this weekend. Prop guru at dealership said it should get me to the 5800-6000 range and get me to the 23 mph range. If it doesn't work I am going to try the SS Performance Series. Thanks for the information and courtesy of reply. Our lake is only. 7 miles long and. 1500 acres. Having had faster express cruisers on the river I love the idea of the speed but feel I have plenty for the lake I am on.

Love the boat! Much more comfortable than my past ski and express cruisers.

Ok. Put on the Talon 13.5 x 10.5. Added 10 gallons of gas. Otherwise same. Still the same, 5150 RPM. Ganted 80# more weight. Same lake and wind conditions. Don't think the 80# would be that significant. Big pitch difference with no results. Same GPS speed reading. Guess I'll try the stainless 14x9 or 14x10. Any thoughts.

Ok. I am getting more confused than ever. Above I compared my 13 5/8 x 13 results and the 13.5 x 10.5 Talon I tried this week.  Other than additional 10 gallons of gas my stats were exactly the same. 5150 rpm and 20 mph. Spoke with a knowledgeable rep from a company selling props and was told if I went to a 14 x 11 stainless I would likely lower rpm and increase speed. I am told the motor should turn 5200-6000 rpms and that lower than 5200 is worse for the motor than winding it too high. Thoughts? Attempting to reach around 5800 and 22-23 mph.

The Yamaha 14x9 sounds like it should bring your rpms up a couple hundred.  I don't think you can go any smaller than a 9 pitch on a boat that big.  

Back