prop size

KenJ

Reaction score
I am purchasing aa 22 ssrx with a 115 HP Yamaha. The dealer said the standard prop for this unit is a 13 1/2 x 12....this seems to be a very low pitch to me....I would have expected a 15, 17 or a 19 pitch. Is a 12 pitch correct??

A 115 definitely couldn't turn a 17 or 19 pitch prop, probably not even a 15. You might check the Yamaha performance reports to see what they recommend. The dealer would just go by Bennington and Yamaha's recommendation.

I agree with Tom, a 17 or 19 would definitely be too much prop for the 115.

I am purchasing aa 22 ssrx with a 115 HP Yamaha. The dealer said the standard prop for this unit is a 13 1/2 x 12....this seems to be a very low pitch to me....I would have expected a 15, 17 or a 19 pitch. Is a 12 pitch correct??

I just took delivery of a 24SSBXP last week with a Yamaha 115 which came with a 13-1/2 x 14 prop. It turns 5500 rpm and max speed is 30.1 mph. When I took delivery I the dealer made it a point to tell me this is the prop they have had the most positive customer experience with. I could probably drop to a 13 pitch and still be within the max rpm range but I'm happy with this one. IMO going higher than a 14 pitch on yours would be too much based on my short experience thus far. In your case I think a good test run will determine how close the prop size is dialed in but I suspect you could be slightly under pitched. When you do a test run you can use a slippage calculator online to see how well it's dialed in. Good luck

I recently took delivery of a new 21SFX with a 115, I got a 14x13 Talon SS SDS. I haven't had it in the water yet but once properly broken in, I'll post my findings. I also bought an aluminum (non SDS) 13-5/8x14 so I'd have a spare for whichever prop works out best. I suspect I'll use the aluminum in unfamiliar areas of the lake.

Back